• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Of July

No other movie comes close on this special day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ze_OB1I5k

Happy 4th, Paul!

We've always been partial to 1776 here! We big-screened it last night.

I give this movie a lot of credit. Back in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, Cable TV came back about 4 days after electricity did, so we played DVDs. My (then) 11 year old saw 1776 and became fascinated by history. He's now doing in college what I also did: pad the elective credits with history courses!

-then there's the HBO miniseries John Adams: same story, with a lot more genuine 18th century life's miseries (seriously: they show a 1770s vintage smallpox innoculation! -Ewww!), yet without all those catchy tunes! Yet, if you really want to appreciate what these people went through...

Comment

Then...there is the PBS-13 mini-series; THE ADAMS CHRONICLES...which will give you a nice historical prelude to the events..if there is ever an audition session for '76, I'll be certain to try on it..Shorty

Comment

Yes, the only "Adams" William Daniels never played was Gomez!

Comment

I do have yank my doodle it's a dandy but I don't know if that's the same movie all jokes aside one of my favorites is birth of a nation by DW Griffith also ANTS PASTED with Mr Fudd.....a genuine classic!
          Last edited by Chip Gelmini; July 04, 2021, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Adsett View Post
            No other movie comes close on this special day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ze_OB1I5k
            Was my Dad's favourite movie. I got him the 2 disc special edition DVD one birthday or Christmas, I forget which, that I had imported to the UK for him (don't think it ever had an official UK DVD release, just VHS).

Comment

...I bought the full super 8 feature when Ian was offering up prints almost daily. I cleaned and stored it for future screening. A Red Fox print.
              I have yet to screen this one but it has now jumped the que.

Comment

Here is the iconic last 5 minutes of the last reel of the film. Watching this, remember that America had just entered WW2. This film was probably the best moral booster that any Hollywood studio could have given to the country at that time. Cagney of course put in an unbelievable performance, the best of his career, and certainly deserved his only Oscar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nztp8QRJ6tg
                Last edited by Paul Adsett; July 06, 2021, 11:59 AM.

Comment

How's about a little bit of that Cagney feature, "Yankee Doodle Dandy"? (Yeah, I'm redundant)!

Comment

I have the Irving Berlin "You're in the Army Now": very WWII era patriotism including Kate Smith singing "God Bless America". What's neat about it for me is it's set in a place called "Camp Upton" where recruits and returning Servicemen were processed during WWI and WWII. The real Camp Upton was closed in 1947 and is now a Department of Energy Laboratory. I happen to be there right this moment!

It's a Niles print of a technicolor film: grainy black and white. (-at least you can say it hasn't faded!)

Comment

If you don't have the S8 the WARNER ARCHIVE BluRay is excellent and around £17 UK

I have the Derann 400ft S8 and put the trailer at the start making for a nice watch, also re recorded the sound to finish the job off.

Comment

To all our friends on the western side of the pond..... Happy 4th July ! (2022) !!

Comment

Cheers to you Melvin, Shorty

Comment

Thank you Melvin! Let the Independence Day fireworks begin! 🗽🎆🎇🎊🎉
                            Last edited by Janice Glesser; July 04, 2022, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Having just heard the news my heart goes out to all the victims of the Independence Day shooting in Chicago, those dead, injured and the families of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X