Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hidden Gem in Somerset...that's in the UK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden Gem in Somerset...that's in the UK!

I'm sure many here have an interest in the older radio and TV technology, hence I'm sharing this.
    I've just come back from a few days in the West Country...(where the Cider Apples grow). We were in Watchet and came across a real gem of a place, The Radio Museum. Everything from wind up gramophones, to old TVs, including the 9" Bush my grandmother had, (BEHAVE) an original Radio One DJ's desk and all the associated studio gear. There are Radio Times going back to the start of WW2 and so much memorabilia. There's a Reel to Reel from Abbey Road and even a Phillips N1500 VCR- pre VHS. It's free to get in, just make a donation on leaving. Neil the curator is on hand to chat and is a mine of info, so well worth a visit if you are in the area. https://www.radiomuseum.uk/

Wasn't it Coate's cider that "Came down from Somerset, where the cider apples grow"?

Comment

Coates Cider in Nailsea, Somerset, closed in 1975 after 187 years.
      Here is the late Adge Cutler and the Wurzels.
      Drink Up Thy Zider! Coates cider vat named after Wurzels! - YouTube

However, the Wurzels are still going.
      The Wurzels - Wikipedia

When I worked at the old Odeon (ex Gaumont) Taunton, they were regular, and most welcome, visitors.

Comment

......as long as they weren't using the back row to "Play old nature's game!"

Comment

I should have added that The Wurzels stage shows were always a sell-out, and working back stage, I was able to appreciated them close up.

Comment

I sang in a backing group on TOP OF THE POPS way back a couple of times and The Wurzels were in the BBC dressing room next to ours and drove us kids crackers. Upside? I got to chat to BLONDIE in the studio.
            Mid 70's was a memorable time in entertainment for this youngster and nice to meet Debbie Harry and the band being a fan.....

Comment

Working...
            X