USPS returned a film sent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USPS returned a film sent

I sent three 800 ft shorts vis media mail here in the states and was returned back to me having gotten all the way to the same town as the recipient, saying does not qualify as media mail. Never had this happen before. The package clearly indicates they opened and checked it. I suspect that someone at post office doesn't know what they are doing or cant identify 16mm film. Very frustrating I went down to Post office who know I ship films. They told me to write 16mm film qualifies as media mail on package. They will ship again. glad they didn't force me to pay again since it was there error. Media mail stinks but the buyer wanted it shipped that way. I understand people abuse it but it boils down to USPS employees failing to identify what qualifies.

Actually, I have personally found that Media mail is quicker these days. I'm sorry to hear that you went through that. With hundreds of packages I have sent throughout the years, I have never had that happen.

Comment

I've had a USPS counter person tell me that film is not included in items that can be shipped Media Mail. I asked them to check their website which states:

Using Media Mail

Here's what you can send:
      • Books (at least 8 pages)
      • 16-millimeter or narrower width films
      • Printed music and test materials
      • Video and sound recordings
      • Playscripts and manuscripts
      • Printed educational reference charts
      • Medical loose-leaf pages and binders
      • Computer-readable media

I was then able to ship the film. I'd like to add that the staff of my local Post Office are helpful and efficient. This was one of the few times I've had an issue with shipping from there. Because of Brian's experience, I think I'll include a printout of that list in the package.

Comment

UPS UK left a film master at customs for 4 months not bothering to go collect it from the warehouse. Never again.
        Everything now goes 100% Royal Mail outside the UK no problems.

Comment

Sounds like some poor soul has never seen a reel of film!

-part of the reason this hobby requires a lot of explaining sometimes.

Comment

Right on the website states 16mm film or narrower with films, I was not going to repay for there mistake. I guess its just a case of inspector don't know how to identify reel film. Doug great idea putting printout on the package.

Comment

Working...
            X