Ferrania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrania

The Italian company explains why there is still no colour reversal stock so far : https://www.filmferrania.it/news-art...kickstarter-qa

A second video is to come. Hopefully they will announce good news to all those who are more than disappointed by the way all this has been handled.

Second episode of the Ferrania communication videos. Although, nothing about a new reversal colour cine film, some interesting content about the manufacturers.

https://www.filmferrania.it/news-art...kickstarter-qa

Comment

There has been so much disappointment in Ferrania unfortunately. Their kickstarter was funded before 100D was a consideration. Now that Kodak will also be releasing 100D in multiple other formats, I am afraid Ferrania may not have as much color reversal business as they once anticipated.

Comment

Does Ferrania have any credibility left?

Comment

I’ll buy Ferrania any time over Kodak. They will have a chance to compete against Kodak by simply converting their colour stock to all the formats Rochester doesn’t serve: Ninefive, Double-Eight, 16mm-2r., 35mm bulk, 127, 8" × 11". What they could do already now is to offer P 30 in those formats. They should also envisage making a print film that compares to ORWO PF 2. Again, in Double-Eight, 16mm-2r., 35mm, and as sheets.

Comment

Simon,

It's nice to hear the potential. Are those their intensions? If so, do they have a timeline for those releases?

Comment

In my opinion, and I hope Time will tell I was wrong, Ferrania completely misunderstood the film market. The company already announced they are not interested in manufacturing 9.5 stock and said that providing 35 mm unperfored film was only a long term possibility. There was a lot of ifs and maybes in their communication about that.

Comment

Back in the 60's and 70's I used to shoot Standard 8 home movies on a Russian Quarz camera using Ferrania Double 8 colour reversal film and process it myself using a Russian Lomo tank, quite a long process involving as I remember a 2 minute exposure to a photoflood lamp for the reversal. Those were the days.

Comment

Episode 3...

https://www.filmferrania.it/news-art...kickstarter-qa

Comment

Great link Dominique, thank you for posting it!

Comment

- They're long overdue their target schedule.
                      - Kodak is now ahead of them.
                      - The market seems too small for two giants (is it still eligible to call them giants?).

Simply put - if no color stock with competitive price with Kodak, no future for Ferrania then.

Comment

4th episode… https://www.filmferrania.it/news-art...kickstarter-qa

Comment

Kodak Sales of Movie Film

The top 10 sales volume by country in 2019 is 1st US, 2nd UK, 3rd Germany, 4th Australia, 5th Canada, 6th France, 7th Japan, 8th Spain, 9th Netherlands, 10th Finland was.

In 2019, the sales share by type was: color negative 50D 30%, 500T 22%, 200T 20%, black and white tri-X 15%, and Ektachrome 100D 14%

Comment

I order my films directly from a US seller (even with the post and packing costs, it's cheaper than in Europe) and have ship them to France (Belgian customs are less Cine friends than the French ones), so I guess there is no record anywhere that someone bought in Belgium Ektachrome films (not that I got a big amout…). It would be intersting to know how many super 8 cartidges and 16 mm spools were sold (are we talking about 100 's ? 1.000 's ?

Comment

For what it's worth Dom mine come from Australia even further away.
                              stats. I shot nearly 20 reversal last year my usual average but I'm still using a big stock of 64T from the freezer as well. I prefer 64T and used carefully ex results.
                              I script and aim to make a complete film mind you it's a up hill struggle now. Which ever way you look at it film making will cost you. Stock,processing and magnetic striping. Gone are the days of Cresta mag striping and return in 4 days. My latest film shot over 12 months approaching 300ft is on it's way back from Italy and stripingI also emptied the archive so as to stripe unfinished projects over the last 50 years 1600ft of super 8. I'll have more to send as well yet!

My films are shot at 24fps so I get thru a few more films than your 50ft chap may do.

Ferrania have missed the boat and peak sad to say where Kodak kept pushing on spotting a window. I'm registered for the new camera but still no delivery date.

Comment

Working...
                              X