Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now hear this.......

My Determination Pays Off!

Over forty years ago, I began a procedure to safe guard my films and equipment. This was at a time when I hardly had any sound films. I had just began collecting super 8 sound, and had no idea where it would bring me as of today, July 28, 2021.

The simple thing I always did: When the booth was closed, EVERYTHING was unplugged from main power source. It was fairly easy to do. Use a power strip for multiple things – and just unplug the power strip.

Never before today have I been so proud to have stayed with this idea. Every single time. After every night time screening. Walk away from the booth, and have everything unplugged.

Earlier today (July 28th 2021 @ 4:18am Florida time zone) a lightning bolt hit my main power meter in the corner of my backyard. It damaged the meter, and the circuit breaker inside it which sends the power to the house. In addition to the power meter, a Verizon former landline junction box was destroyed. The internet router inside the house was caput. Some small parts inside the central air conditioner unit achieved meltdown. And for the next 7 hours there would be no power in my house.

At first I thought, OK a simple thunderstorm power outage. Should be fixed soon. Not long after that I heard the neighbor’s air conditioner turn on. So I thought well it should be checked. I quickly concluded I was the only one without power.

At 7am I was reporting the outage to the power company and soon they called back. Workers had been to the house, removed the meter and instructed me that I needed an electrician to replace the circuit breaker. After which, they could return and reconnect the power.

Total cost electrician: $865.00 USD.

Power is restored.

Then attempting to very carefully turn everything on via instructions from the electrician regarding the panel box inside the house. I find the thermostat for the air-conditioned is working OK but the outside unit does not start.

Air Conditioner repair charge: $240.00 USD.

By 5:00 in the afternoon, 13 hours after the power went out, I was back up and running. The cable people came and swapped out the router as they detected the problem was in my house. They were on top of it before I notified them.

This was a HUGE thunder clap.

Reviewing my back yard, as I lay in bed at the precise moment, I came to the conclusion that the power meter was about 75 feet from my bed. The Verizon Landline box was about 4 feet from my headboard outside of the house.

I’ve never been so scared in all my life. This was REALLY close.

But through it all, the best news yet:

My film collection, and equipment are all good. My house still stands. No other appliances within the house of any kind are damaged as far as I can tell.

And I am alive.

Folks I can’t stress this enough.

If you are NOT using power strips, or power centers, to manage your equipment.

If you are NOT unplugging your gear when you are NOT using it.

You ARE making a HUGE mistake.

Let me tell you I am so proud to have been so careful for more than 40 years of film collecting.

CG

Notes:

Power Centers were designed for desktop computers. A few switches in front, and outlets in back. Sit the monitor on top of it, and control your devices. These work very good for projectors and sound systems.

Terrible news Chip, and just something that just can't see coming, like my son doing a face plant this morning and me having to rush him to the dentist. Cost? Not in yet, but certainly not encouraging. My condolences, my friend.

Comment

I use the Belkin multi-gangs and they have surge protection as well as the British 13amp fuses so I recommend something similar.

Comment

Welcome to summer in Florida Chip! Your advice is so sound it cannot be repeated too often. Several years ago a strike close to our house took out the TV and all the dimmers in my screening room. That was when I learned the same lesson as you, and now my total home cinema equipment connects up to a single power strip with surge protection, and the only time it stays plugged into the wall is when I am showing movies. A TV can be easily replaced, but a GS1200 can not.
        And it's not just thunderstorms, we gets lots of power failures and power surges throughout the year. Just a month ago I had to replace the complete electrical distribution panel in the house because it was 50 years old and deemed a fire hazard. Cost $4,800.00 to replace, but at least the new panel has built-in whole house surge protection. But I still dont trust it to protect from a lightning strike. So take Chips advice and keep your equipment unplugged when not in use.

Comment

Looks like Paul might have jinxed me.

Four days later my coffee machine smoked up while it was turned off come to find out the outlet was pushing over 240 volt.

Everything else is still unplugged the house is without power until further notice it is Friday afternoon trying to get an electrician to come out and investigate suspect that the underground wire from the meter box to the house or part of it may be corrupt

now I am only kidding about my comment to Paul but since it work to get your attention stay tuned.....

The theater is closed until further notice.....

Comment

To raise cash for the electrician to finish the repairs I am selling a super eight print in the for sale section please look for brainstorm for sale

Comment

Chip
              I assume that you cannot insure against "An Act Of God" ?

Comment

Depends on your home owners policy and insurance company Maurice. Some policy's in Florida will in fact cover you for Lightning damage and power surge damage caused by lightning, but many will not.
                Central Florida, where Chip and I live, is in fact the lightning capital of the USA. A typical summer afternoon thunderstorm will produce several thousand strikes over the Orlando area in the space of an hour. Sometimes its like living in a war zone
                All the more reason to pull the plug on your home cinema system.

Comment

Thank you, Paul
                  Many years ago my wife and I stayed in Orlando and visited Walt Disney World, and many other interesting venues. I seem to recall that it was in April.
                  Most afternoons there were violent rainstorms which quickly came and went, but we never experienced any lightning.
                  Thus, our visits to the attractions were always in the mornings.

Comment

You came in one of the best months Maurice. By the time July rolls around, and through September, the afternoon storms can be incredibly violent, with lightning strikes coming uncomfortably close repeatedly. Unfortunately Chip had a direct hit and he's lucky he still has his house.
                    The peak of the visitor season coincides with the scorching 95F, 90% humidity summer months of school holidays. Personally, my idea of hell is walking around a packed Disney World, or Universal Studios, in the middle of July and August!

Comment

Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Lightning Strikes?

Homeowners insurance generally does cover damage from lightning strikes, though there are some exceptions to keep in mind. Here's when it will (and won't) cover you, and how to make sure you're sufficiently protected from the costs. Our guide explains how and when your insurance company would cover or pay out for lightning strikes, and what homeowners can do to mitigate damages or issues when filing claims.
                      Full article at: https://www.valuepenguin.com/homeown...htning-strikes

Comment

Saturday, August 14 my power has been restored I am now back in my home the next several days I will be watching things carefully and hopefully within a week I will run a new show I'm going to document the series of events leading up to today's repair very soon and I will post another update to this thread

Comment

Thank goodness you're " long days journey into night" is now coming to an end!

Comment

Take care Chip

Comment

Thank you everyone as I sit here responding another major thunderstorm is directly above me and one of two tropical storms are nearby and approaching this will soon be the summer I would prefer to forget......

Stay tuned for more

Comment

Working...
                              X