Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best options to digitise? (buy/rent/borrow Super 8 projector in Sydney, Australia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best options to digitise? (buy/rent/borrow Super 8 projector in Sydney, Australia)

I found about 11000ft of old film in my grandfather's house with an Argus Showmaster 1000 and a Noris Norimat SD. I opened both up and checked the belts. The Argus is working well, but the Noris has a loose belt, bit rusty and no lamp. I've heard that it can be risky to run film on old projectors though.

I'm trying to figure out the best options (in order of quality of result):
    1.) Professional digitisation - cost about $4000
    2.) Purchase a film digitiser - cost about $800.
    3.) Buy a refurbished projector - cost about $400, film the wall.
    3a.) Fix the Noris - cost pending (getting a quote), film the wall.
    4.) Use the Argus for the 8mm and rent a Super 8 projector, film the wall, pick the best films and digitise those (cost $1000?)

I'd like to go with option 4 so I can avoid the higher cost, but still get good quality digital versions of things like the old wedding videos or videos of my grandmother who passed away a few years ago.

I heard in the US you can borrow old film projectors from the library. Here I can't seem to find any way to borrow or rent a projector. I could buy one and try to resell it too. Would be great to get some advice here.

Much appreciated!

I got lucky and managed to find a Sankyo Dualux 2000-H for sale. I've heard these are good and gentle on film! Thanks all for checking out the post anyway.

Comment

Although I don't have Sankyo but Yelco MP-350. They are mechanically similar enough to be comparable. All I can say is that if it's in good working order to start with, it will be definitely what you need and nothing else. Simple yet reliable machine that will easily get the job done. Using pretty typical EFP lamp will be a BIG PLUS in the long run too.

Comment

Working...
      X