The Murder House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Murder House

I am not sure this is going to work, but its a neat little short film about the New Zealand school dentist. Back in its day, going to the dentist was known as going to "The Murder House". .
    The Murder House - "I hope you're braver than your brother." A young schoolboy (James Ordish) finds his day plunging into nightmare, when he gets called in for a session with the school dental nurse. The nurse (a sly performance by future casting director Tina Cleary) seems to take pleasure in other people's pain. Directed by cinematographer Warrick ‘Waka' Attewell (Starlight Hotel), this short film for the dental wary was written by Ken Hammon, who was part of the team behind Peter Jackson's debut feature, splatter flick Bad Taste. 

I was watching a 16mm print called "The New Zealanders" a while back and it reminded me of the above short film. I must say I am glad I never went to school here

The dentist I went to in Scotland was known as Dick the Monster, although to be fair to him, his fillings lasted for years. He was X army dentist, rough as guts and wore thick glasses so he could see what he was doing. The blunt drill bits, used to ping all over the place in your mouth he would stop often and rummage through his bits and pieces box to find the least blunt one...no kidding, Anyway here are a couple of screen shots. The 16mm print is from the 1960s and its in stunning Kodachrome. .
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1820.JPG Views:	0 Size:	260.1 KB ID:	40554 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1821.JPG Views:	0 Size:	209.4 KB ID:	40555

Comment

Back in the '40s our dental nurse(in Auckland) had a treadle drill.An instrument that was truly an instrument of torture. One time she put the drill bit right through my tongue.Ouch!

Comment

Anyone been to the dentist lately? The background music here in Mr Bean reminds me a bit of "2001"

Comment

Working...
        X