Cine Film - Whats is it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cine Film - Whats is it worth?

I am a collector and trader but in cine equipment rather than the actual cine films. I like silent projectors the older the better. When I purchase projectors they are increasingly coming from the estates of peoples grand parents in various states of repair and they come in a big box that contains anything vaguely relating to projection.

I am increasingly finding rolls of film of various formats in these boxes and after removing the home movies and social history type subjects, now find the big box I dump all the rest in is getting fuller by the week.

(I have now been led to believe that there may actually be some strange people out there who actually collect reels of film to use for thier own pleasure. )

To get to the point, is there some sort of algorythem or set of rules or guidlines to pricing films? What things are taken into account? format - condition - condition of storage case - subject.......

Does it work as a standard price for a reel - then this price would be adapted up or down due to these sort of factors?

I am not looking at selling films as a business and making a fortune I am just trying to find out the basic worth would be for a standard reel of feature film.

Is there some formula to use to work out the fair price so to speak? that can then be adjusted for special rarity ect?

Nick

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clip_8.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	39978

The classic answer is that it is worth what a buyer is willing to pay - it is very difficult to say what films would bring. My advice would be to check the lists of the dealers mentioned here on their web sites to see what they are charging.

Classic Home Cinema (http://homeclassiccinema.moonfruit.com/) and Independent 8 (on the BFCC site http://www.bfcc.biz/) would be good places to start for *mm and 16mm films.

Comment

Thanks Brian, the thing is commercial film doesnt really interest me I like home made and social history type and the rest I tend to ignore. I wont throw them out and I dont want to spend a lot of time with them. Saying that I dont want to insult anybody by asking too much as I am not really after a profit also I dont want to offer them for pennies as peope would thinkthere must be something wrong with them. I just really do have no idea what soever about anything to do with film.

I will check the sites but I am now thinking about perhaps once a month offering a joblot of every film that has come in that month regardless of content. A sort of bargain bucket clearance maybe?

Anyway I will look at the sites,

Thanks

Nick

Comment

If you have the time to go through the films nick and put a honest description on here or where ever you choose to sell them, then most collectors who are interested will either bid or make you an offer, you are right in that some will try to take advantage but there are those who won't. Ebay tends to lead to higher prices sometimes where those bidding "get carried away" with the auction, start with the minimum you would take and put a reserve on, if what you have is of interest you will get the bids. I have had people send emails to me saying my item is priced "too steep" there words not mine, only to find the same film sell for slightly more than i offered it at and mine was in better condition, so the sharks are out there too..........

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Regan View Post
          ....I am now thinking about perhaps once a month offering a joblot of every film that has come in that month regardless of content. A sort of bargain bucket clearance maybe?.....
          Nick
          I think this is an excellent idea.

Comment

Thank you Maurice I shall make sure I advise you on the first lot.

Nick

Comment

Nick - Just to clarify...... you remove the home made movies due to their importance as social history and will be listing as job lots all the package movies you are finding? If so.... A) You are to be applauded for rescuing the home movies which, in time, become a valuable first hand account of days gone by, instead of just dumping them into oblivion. B) You would at least need to mention in these job lots if the films are silent or sound. As far as possible keep them separate.

Good luck.

Comment

Melvin,

The films would be listed by name and format and sound or silent but as the object of the excersise would be get rid of the films without actually putting them in the bin, I think all in one lot and then they become someone elses responsibility.

(Because lets face it we all have a duty to keep cine alive).

I am not actually trying to comercially sell them so the price would be low reflected by the fact they are untested and may all be good or even all not so good.

No Promises, no guarentees bargain basement price as a job lot. No comebacks. Due mainly to my ignorance of anything to do with film.

The only reason to actually ask for any money for them is the fact if you pay for something you are more likely to keep it.

I will sort the first lot out during this week and produce and post a list with details later in the week, I know the 1996 world cup is one reel, something to do with the moon landing on another and various entertainment films etc.

And yes I do keep the home movies and social history films, I watch them mainly when i test the projetors I have serviced and also any 9.5 film I can find.

Nick

Comment

I've found over the years those who want loved home movies to reach the right hands of someone who will treasure them will eventually be found one way or another. Coming from a entertainment background I am custodian of a number of variety stars home movies not to mention Mr Formby all filmed on 16mm as a example. Pre lock up I spent many happy hours presenting some of them, remember films were meant to be seen :-)

Comment

I think one f the reasons I appreiate home movies is what is happening in the background, the transport, the archtecture the world happening without a script. I find a dividing line between films of my " Lifetime" era where I recognise many things from my childhood , most of which has now changed, and then events going back into history showing my grandfathers time as it was, warts and all.

Comment

First lot now in 8 mm films for sale forum with list of reels (25)

Nick

Comment

Sale finishes today ! Already starting to fill the second box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clip_1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	40702

Comment

Working...
                        X