My journey with Alberto!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My journey with Alberto!

I thought that, now that I have my film on it's way to get the O.R.S. treatment from Alberto, I will relate my journey with this. I have been waiting to do this ever since this service was first offered, so this is a fun jump for me. I had to wait until I had enuf fun money to be able to afford it. To relate the first step, l of course mailed it off to him and luckily, it took one day shy of two weeks to leave Italian customs, which is actually pretty lucky, as it can take quite awhile. It has now been about a week and a half, so it should hopefully be in Alberto's hands any day now! Updates soon!

Wow! Happy to already give an update. Alberto received my Grizzly Adams! I am also happy to report that there were no tarriffs upon it arriving to Alberto, which I am relieved about!

Comment

I thought that I would make an update. I found out something I didn't know. It takes 20 to 30 days to do a treatment. That does make sense, I just hadn't factored that in. In the meantime, I am pouring all over the internet to try to find the best audio tracks for my re-record. One thing that I have found, in stereo, is the original music soundtrack for the Grizzly Adams TV show, which means many of the, honestly, lame music in the 1974 version with this much better audio, on stereo! The one hard part is finding the original first and last songs from the film in their original versions and not the pop music versions. I did find a video file of the beginning and last song from a German VHS which, while the dialogue is in German, the songs are in English, and a cleaner, sharper sound to them. I even have a BETA tape of that 74 film, but no beta machine to make a copy of it, quite sadly, as beta is known to have a better audio frequency. By the time this is done, I'll have a really neat, restored, one of a kind audio to this 74 film!

Comment

Osi, Were you aware that The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams (1974) is available on YouTube? I assume it is the full movie since it runs 1:33:28. You might be able to use that audio.

Comment

Sadly, both, and for that matter, all copies on YouTube are sourced from the same video file, which was apparently sourced from a 16mm print, and the audio was apparently taken from it as well. This is why I'm doing such a search to come up with a decent stereo or a very good mono. I actually have a much better 2 GB film file of the same file on YouTube, which is only about 400 MB, but the audio is no better.

Comment

According to IMDB the official running time is 1:33. They also state it was released in mono only. Then again, they say it was released in 2.35:1, but those YouTube videos don't look like pan and scan...

I just checked the last video store in Seattle which has 130,000 titles in stock, and they don't have it.

Good luck on your search!

Comment

I have been in contact with one of the people who worked for Sunn Classics in the 70's, and he stated that the original feature was shot on 35mm or released in Techniscope. We've had a lot of great emails back and forth, which comes to 10 pages of really interesting materials about not only the 74 film, but the TV series,w which was shot on 16mm but was blown up for networks to the 35mm. I do agree, however, that the super 8 optical feature as well as the 16mm copies, are certainly not pan and scanned for flat prints, but some savvy studios,
              back in the the 60's saw the writing on the wall, and would basically shoot all the principle actors and action right in the middle of the frame for the very need for them to also look good on a flat print.

Comment

Update! It looks like Alberto may well have my O.R.S. treatment done as of the end of next week! Fingers crossed! The other piece of great news is that I have acquired the original stereo soundtrack, ( from restored LP) from the Grizzly Adams TV show! What I will do is, where the original soundtrack has no dialogue over the music, for instance, long segments with animal fun, I will replace that music with a suitable stereo replacement! Also, though I have not found a master recording of "Wear the Sun on Your Heart" (original theme song to the 74 feature), I have been able to master a fairly good mono recording, which I will now put thru some very good noise reduction and use some stereo simulation software to make it into a passable track! Needless to say, I will end up with an OK restoration of the film, and a one of a kind audio for the feature! More later on.

Comment

That is great news Osi. Looks like your determination is paying off!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Love it!.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	45086

Comment

A quick question for anyone who has had this O.R.S. treatment done. About how long does it take, from the time you send your print off to the time it gets back to you, OR, how long from the time it arrives with Alberto, till the time he is done? As, it's not fair to judge his service based on the potential problems with shipping, which Alberto has no control over. I don't want to be impatient with Alberto, and, he could just be real busy with a lot of orders right now.

Comment

By the way, though it has been reported to be a widescreen release, I agree with one of the previous posts, I have never seen a scope copy of this film. The flat versions, (?), Do have the appearance of being a scope film as well. I had the original trailer for the film years ago, on 35mm, and it was flat, but sometimes the trailers would be flat when the film was scope. I guess I would have to luck into an actual 35mm feature print or a reduced to 16mm scope print to really believe that is was a widescreen release. It would be wonderful to find a widescreen print of this, however, as it would be lovely to find it so. I do know for a fact that Sunn Classics did release a later "sequel" starring Dan Haggerty, in scope, entitled, " The Adventures of Frontier Fremont."

Comment

Update! The O.R.S. treatment is done, and not only this, it has already arrived back in an astounding short time! I am going to do a special review of this feature, as well as a special write up on this treatment! I must say that I didn't expect it to look as good as it in fact does, more on that later.

Comment

Working...
                        X