No announcement yet.

Cry Macho!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a drama, not an action film. Even if this is set in the modern age, seeing Eastwood in "cowboy garbe" and Mexican vest brings back fine memories. Heck, even I don't expect Dirty Harry's from him these days unless, of course, Harry is investigating messy murders in the retirement home. (Hah!)

Comment

He was sitting around a table with a lot of kids sounding like his speech could be his last words. Dirty Harry in a retirement home shooting up the place. Now that’s a vision. Doubt the Dirty Harry movies will ever be remade. Whisper it quietly not PC. Maybe the tide will turn someday.

Comment

Naw, these days, it'll be "Dirty Harriet", savior of the feminist movement, shooting up any male that doesn't respect her dominance! Hey, don't laugh! I've seen more rediculous things than that in the theaters! Have you ever noticed that when they make an all female cast remake, of an all male classic, it just doesn't work? The same thing would be true if they made an all male version of Fried Green Tomatoes!

Comment

Watched Cry Macho! with the wife at the weekend. Mr Eastwood is clearly a frail old gent but still doing what he loves which I suspect gives him energy for the soul and thus sustaining him in life. Can't see Mr Eastwood knocking out many more movies so fair play for this one as it was pleasant enough. I have to say I was mighty relieved there were no bedroom scenes though!
          I thought The Mule was a most excellent move which proves you are never too old to hit magic.

Comment

The Mule was one of his better later movies. Just don’t tell Osi

Comment

Hi Mike,

great comments based on your usual "rational" insight and factual astute, observation, film history wise.

I did enjoy Eastwood's "Unforgiven" but that was primarily due to Hackmans brilliant performance.

I never knew how he got away with the total and blatant rip-off of "Shane" with "Pale Rider". (That cheap shot always rankled me!...Clint was NO Alan Ladd...doesn't have the sensitivity).

To be honest I found his earlier movies a "rush" of violent for violence sake... Hollywood and film-goers have a soft spot for him now but I think retirement has to be the best option.

Also, Michael Caine should seriously have stepped out of the acting "spotlight" after "Harry Brown" - which I liked...after this film he has seemed to age physically and mentally dramatically. He is very, very slow now. Sad.

Mind you - the superb Anthony Hopkins seems to get better and better..."The Father" was superb!

Take care all. LOL

Comment

The Mule was OK, I just didn't feel it was one of his better efforts. Just my opinion. I don't get this "ageism", though. If a person can remain viable, why should they stop? James Stewart once said in the early 80's that he pretty much retired, as all the roles he was offered was playing a grandpa. Can't blame him for that. We saw all of this ageism when the last Indiana Jones film came out. "OMG! Like he is totally old!"

Comment

It not ageism it called leaving the stage with grace. I can understand if they have money issues but Michael Caine, Clint Eastwood and Harrison Ford have enough money for five lifetimes and have a lifetime of work.

James Stewart when he was on the Shootist was already in the early stages of Alzheimer’s also stone deaf and couldn’t hear his cues. How many others have their lines written on idiot board blackboards because they can’t remember them.

I have more respect for the likes of Cary Grant and James Cagney who retired at the top not carry out like old codgers.

There are other younger actors who deserve a chance.

You don’t have athletes going on beyond a certain point unless you are a brain dead geriatric boxers.

Someday with a bit of luck bands and individuals like the Rolling Stones will be laughed off the stage but somehow I reckon the few living ones will be on Zimmer frames with virtual images of the dead ones in the background.

Remember Frank Sinatra , John Wayne , George C Scott , Burt Lancaster and Robert Mitchum were offered the role of Dirty Harry before Clint Eastwood. Wouldn’t have been the same movie.

Comment

Working...
                  X