Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Independent 8 more help needed, please read if on mailing list!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independent 8 more help needed, please read if on mailing list!

Windows 11 update has really screwed me up, it wiped a load of names off my database, I've got a 2017 backup, but many names and addresses of newer members will be missing, I'll be able to re-construct most of it, but if collectors could email me there names and addresses who have paid there subs, I can check against the addresses I've got, I know this is a big imposition, but I didn't even know it was being done, the update went in without me doing anything. So if you could send me an email to indi8films@aol.com with your name and address details, it would help me very much to re-construct my mailing list.

Many thanks in advance,

Barry,
    Independent 8.

One of the reasons why I have never had any of my PC's at home, linked to the internet, but there should be some option, Barry, to turn off automatic updates.

Comment

Dear Osi,

I suppose there is, but up to now before any update was loaded I had the choice to say yes or no, this just went in with out my knowledge, so nothing I could do. I'm hoping it's not as bad as I first thought, as I can re-construct many items I've lost, but more work I could have done without!

Comment

Yeah, but it's just having to do this unnecessary junk in the first place. May I assume that, as a longtime customer, I'm already permanently in there? If not, I'll P.M. you. Osi

Comment

I know that many people have had similar experiences Barry. I subscribe to "Computer Active " magazine and many are the problems that other people have had with Windows 10 updates. The only answer appears to be to back up everything to a memory stick so that everything can then be re installed. Have you tried a computer repair shop? They can often retreive files which appear to be lost. Not being an expert on these things, maybe I am "teaching my Grandma to suck eggs" as they say. I have personally had problems with P.Cs. Ken Finch.

Comment

Dear Osi,

Not sure I've got your address details, so if you'd like to send them I'll make sure I'll keep them.

Comment

You've upgraded to Windows 11, but realize you like the old operating system better. Perhaps it's the truncated context menus or less-flexible taskbar that makes you wish you hadn't upgraded. After all, Windows 11 is not a must-have upgrade at this point. Whatever the reason, if you want to rollback to Windows 10, you can, provided that you installed Windows 11 within the last 10 days.

After 10 days, Windows is likely to purge the old OS files, making it impossible to do a rollback...

So, assuming you are within the timeframe, here's how to uninstall Windows 11 and roll back to Windows 10.
              See: How to Uninstall Windows 11 and Roll Back to Windows 10

(https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/...all-windows-11)

Comment

Barry, sent you a PM.

Comment

Dear Ed,

Thanks for the info, but I've virtually found all my missing names etc., and now created new pages, so I'll leave things as they are now, but it still irks me that I've had all this extra work (and stress!) in the first place.

Comment

That's why a lot of people used operating systems other than Microsoft one like Unix and Mac OS, I imagine.

Comment

My old computer was old. Bought years ago as Windows 7, then upgrading through the years to Windows 10.

Then, one day it offered to install Windows 11. So I clicked OK. It spent a long time downloading (do not switch off your computer) and suddenly it said it couldn't do the download and was returning to Windows Windows 10. This then took a long time to return to Windows 10.

Eventually, one day it went berserk only entering one letter and zooming it across the monitor. So, a trip to my local Currys PC World to buy my present computer which says it is "Windows 10 Home in S mode".

What on earth is this?

Comment

Hi Barry - Glad you have got it sorted. Computers are fine when they are running OK and a nightmare when they are not

Hi Maurice - "Windows 10 Home in S mode" is like a locked down mode where you can only install apps from the Microsoft 'store' and access to certain parts of the operating system are restricted. Works perfectly fine if you are happy as it is. You can remove the restriction if you wish which will give you the standard open install. Perhaps start a new thread if you wish to discuss further

Comment

Thank you, Rik. I appreciate your answer.
                          Up to now I have had no problems with using it.

Comment

Working...
                          X