Britain's cold from hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain's cold from hell

Wifey started with this horrid cold and now I've gone and joined the party not wanting to miss out.
    Coughing all night, streaming nose, zero sleep guarantee, banging head exhausted. Never known a cold so powerful in my time anyway.
    Take care if out and about

I wish you a speedy recovery, Lee !

Comment

It's a cold, time of year!

Comment

We folks in Idaho feel your pain! We are having mid December temperatures in early October! Rrrrrrr!

Comment

These really bad cold jobs are making it even harder to know who has what.

Hope things clear up a bit in the Mannering part of the UK.

Best Mark.

Comment

That's quite true, Mark. Anone coughs publicly, and some folks are ready to rip out the "hazz mat" suits and start tearing out they're hair, running in a circle , and yelling, "covid!! COVID!!!!!"

Comment

Public Health are saying after 18 month locknin we will have weak immune systems which makes sense so I wouldn't throw away that face mask anytime soon
              Its not like a common cold more like being hit by a bus
              in a way glad we have it now and not November as we are looking forward very much to Blackpool
              Take care girls and boys.

Comment

If you want to avoid catching a cold, or other transmissible viruses, try this simple trick. Take a cotton bud and cover it lightly with Vaseline then wipe the inside of each nostril so giving them a light covering of the Vaseline. The theory is that this forms a barrier to prevent the entry of the virus through the nose, which is where most start. This trick was passed down from my Father, who never suffered with colds and seems to work for me and the wife when we started doing it over 4 years ago and have not had so much as a ‘sniffle’ since. But for it to work you must remember to do it before going out of the house every day. We don’t bother if we don’t leave the house unless we have visitors call. We started doing this because my wife has a serious lung disease and it is imperative that she avoids any infection. Remember the old adage - prevention is better than cure, so worth a try.

Comment

I and my family all got the yearly flu shot last Friday. Just to be on the safe side of things. We have one more day of this bitter cold, ( 18 degrees colder than it should be this time of year ), and we'll be back to the high 60's, which will feel like summer again, compared to this slop!

Comment

My Grannie used to promote rubbing "Vick Vapour Rub" on our chests. Didn't get colds but very runny noses!!!
                    Hope you and the mrs are feeling better now Lee. I had mu Flu jab on Sunday. Very well organised at our local surgery. Also had my third virus jab a week ago. Lining up a metre apart reminded me of scenes from "Metropolis" ! Ken Finch

Comment

Most of us are vitamin d deficient. Since taking a daily vitamin d for last 6 years I haven’t had any cold or flu. Others who have taken same vitamin d all report the same. Main benefits are attached

https://www.health.com/nutrition/vit...min-d-benefits

Comment

Nightmare day yesterday trying to get hold of a doctor as they had none available, in the end they said call 999 emergency which sort of defeats having a GP no?
                        Endless coughing lifted a bit so slept 11 hours strait must have needed it and doc calling today which I'm laying money on is going to be a chest infection.
                        Both hoping to be fine for the 9-5 event at Rickmansworth and my sanitizing table duties. Over a week to go so should be fine we ope.

Comment

Sorry but people calling a Dr out or dialling 999 for a cold or cough is one of the reasons the nhs cant cope at present. Even in the GP surgery there are signs up asking people to think twice before calling a Dr for a cough or cold.
                          My mother is 89 and is in one hell of a state, she is in excruciating pains and is housebound, but she is being medically neglegted by the Drs and the hospital and the nhs in general. An ambulance was called twice and never turned up. When we eventually got one they took four hours to to her and now we are having to pay privatly to get her seen to get pain relief that works for her. Disgracful. Heres the disgrace of it, she will see the same consulant she would see if we went via the nhs, the difference is she would have a ten week minimum wait, now wer paying she gets in next week. The nhs is in a mess and doesnt need these sort of calls or other time wasting calls which i could list here but wont. People in the nhs say it doesnt need money, it meeds less managers and it needs privatising for it work. BTW, To get my mother to the private hospital by a private patient transport vehicle(a big taxi basicaly) is an additional £160 for the 15 minutes each way, instead we are getting a wheel chair suitable taxi which is £40. Do not talk to me about the NHS. Never will we do that nonsense of clapping at the door for it. 30000 staff stayed home sick when they were needed. Half of those are constant sickies and in this stupid country they get up to six months full pay. And boy do many of them take advantage. Front line workers and health care workers do most of the work while many take the p.
                          Last edited by Tom Photiou; October 14, 2021, 07:28 AM.

Comment

I've deleted a post here. I don't think the author will be too surprised.

Comment

I agree with a lot of what you say Tom, but it seems that health care varies greatly from district to trust/ district. Very concerning to hear about the poor care your mother received - completely unacceptable and I have similar personal family experience of Milton Keynes district. We also hear on the news about other dreadful nhs trusts. However I have to say that we are lucky in Dorset and have fantastic Hospitals in Dorchester, Poole and Bournemouth that provide top quality care. Local GP’s are also very good. Perhaps the nhs managers are responsible for failures, or maybe the nhs is just too big to get it right consistently in all areas.
                              Best wishes to you in your battle to get the proper care that your mum of course deserves.

Comment

Working...
                              X