I don't believe it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't believe it!

I woke up this morning, looked at my PC, it said I have an update waiting to go in, now I'm wary after the other day, I closed everything down and saved everything, started the update, and to my surprise it looks as if Windows 11 has been taken out, I'm back onto Windows 10, and ALL my missing files have re-appeared, which is great, but everything I'd done inbetween has gone, so I've had to redo my Christmas Competition, but what is going on with Microsoft, I'm really left befuddled by all this, still at least I'm no longer searching for missing names and addreses, but this has been a very stressful time, that should never have happened, so everyone be vary wary about updating to Windows 11.

Apparently, Microsoft must have had a major ration of complaints from customers, but, as you stated, NOW you have to redo, what you just did, to compensate from they're "cock up" in the first place! You would think that Microsoft would test they're updates ahead of time, before issuing them. It makes one wonder what else could have been added or subtracted to people's PC's? Perhaps unwanted spyware? As I advised before, turn off all updates coming into your PC. Your PC functioned just fine before all "updates", right?

Comment

I agree with Osi, forget the updates. My computer is working fine but keeps requesting me to let it update from 8.1, but there is no way I will do that. Been down that road before, I know if I did I would be facing the same nightmare as Barry.

Comment

This is why not very deep down, I really dislike devices connected to the internet. It was at one time when you bought something, other than wear and tear it stayed as you bought it: you bought a coupe and never once did you look out the window and find it had grown a third door.

Yet the people you buy all these handy digital things from can reach inside and change them in ways you may not particularly like. (-and these days, this just might include your car too!)

Software driven objects basically are and do whatever their programming tell them to be and do. My cellphone used to have cursor keys on the virtual keyboard and I found that very useful. One day there was an update and they disappeared! They forced a Windows update on me at work a couple of times and all of a sudden I had to re-learn how to use a computer.

-then again there was that time Microsoft announced they weren't supporting the Windows we were using after a certain date, and because the machines we were using didn't support the new one we had to buy something like 5,000 new computers!
        Last edited by Steve Klare; October 15, 2021, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Barry
          A similar thing happened to me some months ago. I was invited to click to install Windows 11. After a long time it announced that it was unable to complete the download.
          Now, it had to return and download the previous Windows 10 which took a long time to do. A complete waste of time.
          But that was before my old computer, (previously bought as Windows 7) eventually packed up.

Comment

Nice to hear your are getting thing back Baz

Comment

If Microsoft was a British Company they would be in deep trouble with Trading standards regulations as they are selling a product which is "not fit for Purpose" and they purchaser would be entitled to compensation for losses, and damage to his property i.e. Retreiving data etc lost as a consequence of their action. What other company do you know which sell a product and relies on the customer to reports its faults. One other thing I have discovered is that if you do instal a windows system and you have a hardware breakdown they do not allow you to re instal it on another computer telling you the product code is invalid or not genuine an pressurise you to purchase the latest product. I have noticed that this is also happening with other "software" products which mysteriously suddenly stop working!! GRRR!!! Ken Finch.

Comment

I just downloaded and installed v 11. So far running smooth. Only a few hours on the broadband for download and install! This is a good thread. Great to see all the comments about it. Maybe I will be lucky or it will crash...........

Comment

Honestly, all these "updates" really are not necessary. They cock up the PC's as a general rule, and they just don't include anything you really need and, in my personal opinion, I think that they are a not so clever way of just getting into your PC and illegally pouring over your personal information.

Comment

No matter how bright and shiny it might look. I've never been a first adopter of any new technology - be it hardware/software or simply a household item. It seems to me most industries are so desperate to be seen to be innovative and market leading, they release whatever their products are with minimal testing and leave the final element of fine tuning the the first customers! If I'm keen I tend to wait a year after which any glitches are usually addressed and the price has dropped

Comment

Not letting your Windows update is unfortunately not wise. Microsoft might not always get it right, just think about the huge number of permutations of machine devices that they need to work with, plus the vast number of installed software permutations that have to be catered for. With all those it is remarkable that any of their updates mostly actually work.

Automatic updates are there to add new features yes, which you may feel you do not want, but more importantly, it keeps your PC protected against hackers that try to exploit you, trying to capture your banking credentials, credit card credentials etc.

Also running an old version of an operating system not being updated anymore should only be used if you are not connecting it to anything on the internet and do not stick a USB drive, a CD or anything like that into it and definitely don’t do email on it.

Microsoft and the other big tech companies spend millions if not billions annually to keep you safe even if you want to make the cynical argument that they only do it to protect their own business rather than really caring about you. Often times they also have to move at pace to stay ahead of the curve once a vulnerability is discovered.

The complexity of what they deal with must not be underestimated. The fact that any of these major operating system actually work is a miracle in its own right, if you think of all the layers of engineering from the user interface all the way down through the underlying operating system code, permanent disc storage, the programmed integrated circuits all the way down to where it meets the electricity electrons.

just in the last few days a major security vulnerability flaw has been discovered in the “Log4j Java library” (search for it on google) used by perhaps most servers and other fire wall devices, likely some home computers too, etc in the world and it is only through regular and proactive updates from reputable companies that those risks can be mitigated for us as users.

sorry for the rant sounding post, that was not the intention, and with no disrespect to any comments above, but computer security really must be taken seriously. I work in the software industry so I have a little experience.
                      Last edited by Xander van der Merwe; December 14, 2021, 03:04 AM.

Comment

I think that with Microsoft's record a lot of people want feedback on the updates before they try them in case they cause more problems than they solve, unfortunately.

Comment

Not just Microsoft - eBay constantly change things that quite often make it worse than before with no benefit in my opinion and just makes it less user friendly.

Comment

I don't have my PC's hooked up to the internet, for obvious reasons, but that Windows 10 has more functions than I will ever use in the first place, and it seems to me, that if Microsoft is making a product that is so full Of holes that you need constant updates, something's wrong with the product. Bah! Humbug!!

Comment

H all

I completely agree with Xander.

Updates may be irritating - my NHS computer connected via Windows is constantly updating critical updates. These are absolutely necessity in order to maintain the security status plus other issues of compatibility. (The clinical health record system updates even more than this.)

It might be a pain but this is technology and it constantly marches forward and develops.

I personally for home use use mainly apple product - Phones, I pads and a Macbook.

Good reliable products but need regular updating - its protection.

The best thing for people who struggle with the updating is to avoid the internet or uses exercise books or a late board and chalk! Lol

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X