Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you fund the hobby in the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have purchased one of the new releases and am looking forward to getting it, but realistically, while any new release is welcomed, you do have to live in the real world, if, (for arguments sake) you bought four of the new releases you will have spent over a thousand pounds and you will end up with only a couple of hours of film. I think aside the lucky wealthy pensioners, the average man upon retirement would probably be well out of reach of such films unless other items were sold off.
    It is a curious thing to think about, as with most hobby's they are normally for life, our hobby has so many parts to it to keep it going, the projectors, (16mm projectors may become to heavy as we get older) the films and all the equipment that is required to keep it going, where will the maintenance come from?
    As some collectors said already, they dont sell any films at all, while others, (myself included) dont want to end up as a hoarder and leave other people with the burden of moving it on so will will whittle it all down, in some cases, those who are not interested in it may even dispose of it.
    Being a few years away yet, it will be interesting to see what the film prices of second hand items do. As it stands, today, there is a 16mm scope copy of Star wars on ebay, it has 63 bids and is at £3630.42 with just over an hour and a half on the clock. With prices like this, who can afford cine?
    This of course, is an extreme case, probably a star wars nut who doesn't even have a projector.
    Another example of forbidden purchases for retired collectors is a James Bond trailer on ebay with a START price of £50 + postage, i am a dedicated film collector but when prices for two minute reels start at this high a price, then it becomes less of a hobby, it is priced out. Im all for a good high price sale but only when the start price is sensible and the bidders move the price to what THEY wish to pay.
    Last edited by Tom Photiou; October 23, 2021, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I certainly agree, I am baffled at just how the prices have sky rocketed recently, and in many cases, for films that aren't even rare or special titles.

Comment

Hope its not faded

As far as Star Wars is concerned it was good in its day, but its really old hat by todays standards. The last time I watched it, I started to zzzzzzzz off

Comment

I suspect it has something to do with the feeling some Star Wars fans have of obtaining the original version (or as near to it as possible) rather than what they think of as the messed about "Special Edition" and later tinkerings by Lucas.

Comment

Memorabilia fans rather than film collectors

Comment

We've been having work done in the house recently and I've been moving my collection around and lugging around multiple 8mm projectors and my 2 16mm projectors plus prints has been a chore - you begin to realise that as you get older - the physical exertion of moving and lifting these prints and equipment will have to stop and I will just keep 2 super 8 machines and 1 16mm and downsize my collection considerably as - you can't take it with you and looking at the way the market is right now for good condition prints - I hope to keep some of my prized prints while letting others have the joy of screening some of my prints. I also believe that there will always be a market for film prints - as like everything else in this world - things go up and down in value - but I feel that there will always be a market out there if the need and want is there.

Comment

For as long as there are serviceable projectors in use i think your right David.
                Earlier in the year i had work done here and like you, i had to move seven projectors two floors up to the top bedrooms and all the films, then, back down again, it was a good workout, dont know if i would want to do it again though. Most of us are lucky to have seen the best years of sales in the hobby, now, hopefully, we can sell and actually raise money to buy other titles while down sizing where as, in the past, the only option was to sell to dealers, (or some private ads) where we got peanuts for films.

Comment

Very true Tom - a good few years ago when Derann were still trading - I took a box of super 8 in to them and was given a few bits and pieces in return and £40 - low and behold in their following months list - they got a darn sight more for my box of goodies - you live and learn - I certainly won't be selling my prints to a dealer !!!

Comment

Derann were always a laugh to trade films. Whilst the reputable dealers would give you 50% of what they were planning to charge when selling Derann was down at the 10-15 % range. I remember one collector trading his entire collection for one of their digital projectors plus putting a bit of money towards it. Realistically they got a £10,000 plus collection for maybe £2000.

A sober reminder to those planning to thin out their collection in their retirement years. It takes a lot of time and effort to so . I took me nearly three years to complete and whilst I made an overall profit I wasn’t getting silly price but then I wasn’t paying 20% fees to eBay in those days.

Comment

Working...
                    X