Shooting death on a film set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting death on a film set

The shooting death of director of photography Halyna Hutchins on a film set in Santa Fe, N.M., is a stark reminder to the filmmaking community that, though they work in fantasy, actions on set can have real world consequences.

On Thursday, while filming the Western Rust, the movie's star Alec Baldwin discharged a prop gun that killed Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza.

An Associated Press report from 2016 determined that from 1990 until the time of publication, at least 43 people died on sets in the U.S. and more than 150 had been left with life-altering injuries.

Though Hutchins' death is tragic and distressing, film and television prop experts told NPR that injuries or death from prop firearms specifically are exceedingly rare.

"It is an extremely rare circumstance that anything like this happens. Especially nowadays when there are so many different procedures and policies in place," said Kevin Williams, the prop department supervisor at the UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television. "This is one of these freak accidents."

Williams has been working in the prop industry for theater and movie production for over 20 years. He was speaking as an experienced professional in the handling of props but didn't want to speculate on what happened during the filming of Rust.

He said the industry standard is to abide by strict safety rules.

"We go through the utmost caution and care when putting any sorts of weapons in the hands of actors," he said.

Hutchins' shocking on-set death immediately drew comparisons to the untimely 1993 death of Brandon Lee.

Lee, who was 28 at the time, was the son of the late martial-arts star Bruce Lee. He was killed after being hit by a .44-caliber slug while filming a death scene for the movie The Crow. The gun was supposed to have fired a blank, but an autopsy turned up a bullet lodged near his spine.

Lee's death in 1993 was the last recorded accidental death by a prop gun on a movie set.

Before that, in 1984, actor Jon-Erik Hexum was killed on the set of the TV series Cover Up. Hexum accidentally shot himself in the head with a gun loaded with blanks.

Shannon Lee, who runs a Twitter account in her deceased brother's name, tweeted, "Our hearts go out to the family of Halyna Hutchins and to Joel Souza and all involved in the incident on 'Rust.' No one should ever be killed by a gun on a film set. Period."

Prop masters are in charge of a production's props before, during and shortly after filming. Along with armorers — the crew members who work with the guns on set — and stunt coordinators, prop masters coordinate with actors, producers and the director during filming.

"When I'm doing a training session with a performer, my main guideline, the heartbeat of the conversation, is to make sure that they are treating any weapon — whether it's a bladed weapon or a firearm — as if it could potentially kill somebody. And those are usually the words I use," said UCLA's Williams. "It's a serious situation and everyone's got to be on their game."

Hollywood adheres to Safety Bulletins, written and distributed by the Industry-Wide Labor-Management Safety Committee, for standards on weapon and prop safety, as well as other rules.

In the first bulletin addressing firearms and the use of blank ammunition, the document notes prominently: "TREAT ALL FIREARMS AS THOUGH THEY ARE LOADED." It goes on to say live ammunition is to never be used nor brought onto a set.

However, these are recommendations and not binding law.

"There are a lot of working pieces when it comes to firing guns on set," said Karl Weschta, the vice president of weapons for Independent Studio Services in Los Angeles. ISS provides props and weapons for television and movie productions.

In addition to safety lessons and practice sessions, actors are told to keep a safe distance from other crew members when handling a prop gun. Filmmakers often use movie magic so it looks as if an actor is pointing a gun directly at another character — when they're actually pointing the weapon at an angle or off-center.

"It's really rare when a gun is actually directly pointed at someone," Weschta said.

Those weapons also are usually empty or loaded with blank cartridges. But a blank cartridge shot at close range can still cause serious damage.

In the case of Hexum's death, a gun loaded with a blank cartridge caused enough damage to kill the young actor.

Hexum was struck in the right temple by a blank charge from the prop gun he was handling. The force of the bullet fractured his skull, according to a New York Times report from the time of the incident. This caused serious brain hemorrhaging and irreversible damage.
    Still, details are sometimes too hard to control on set

Even with all of the planning and safety measures in place, accidents can happen.

Weschta and Williams said there's still a lot that is unknown about how Hutchins was killed and Souza injured.

The type of gun, how it was altered, how it was handled, the positions of both cast and crew, even down to the direction and strength of the wind all could have played a factor in the shooting, they said.

On-set pressure can also be a factor, sometimes causing even experienced professionals to let safety standards slide, Williams said.

"When you are on set, dealing with creatives, and they are asking for certain circumstances, sometimes these demands are hard to say no to," Williams said. "A lot of our industry is built on relationships, so sometimes people have to make questionable decisions."

Williams cautioned against rushing to blame anyone for what might've happened Thursday on the set of Rust.

"There is a lot of people hurting right now. We need to not look about laying blame," he said. "If there is a way to make [filming] safer in the future, then that's the road we need to take."
    Source: https://www.npr.org/2021/10/22/10482...movie-set-rare

A tragedy day for all involved. In particular for the young DOP and her family It difficult to know what has happened until all the facts have been revealed. The simple truth is it should never have happened again particularly after previous deaths.

I remember reading James Cagney was instrumental in getting live ammunition banned being used in shooting scenes on movies Apparently, before that marksmen shot around the actors and it Cagney actually avoided being killed when a marksman stumbled when shooting a gun.

Comment

It looks like Alec Baldwin is in for some major problems. His production company was hiring non-union folks to work on the film, a big no no in Hollywood, a number of people walking off the set weeks ago in protest ect. As not only actor, but also producer and the one who shot and killed the person, Baldwin may not have much of a career after this.

Comment

Looking like incompetence, nepotism, penny pinching and mindless stupidity all the way. The fact that Alec Baldwin is a producer means he can’t escape responsibility.

Added to the that why was he pointing any gun at a person and firing it is beyond reasoning.

I would say his career finished yesterday particularly his SNL stint.

Maybe the film industry might grow up after this and make real lasting changes to health and safety that will save lives and severe injuries.

Comment

Yes, I thought that was the first rule on stage or film work with guns. Never point them directly at anyone at any time. (Also avoid pointing at petrol or other stores).

Comment

Terribly sad news and not the first. Studios can easily post produce the needed effect its time to ban analogue guns from every set in the world.
            Please do it in post production.

Brandon Lee ....please stop it now. These guns can fire live rounds or blanks no place on any movie set today.

Comment

It looks like he might have been pointing the gun towards the camera as you would do to give the visual impression "on film" its the other person you are aiming at, The gun itself was handed to him by the assistant director who had picked it up and handed it to Alec Baldwin not knowing that it had "real bullets" in it and not blanks.

The "why" the gun had live ammunition in it to begin with, and the person who is responsible for it being "live" will no doubt come out in time.

Comment

The trouble at present time is that the Health and safety regarding Covid is so over the top in some places , the usual checks on things are taking second place. We see it everywhere.

Comment

James cagney refused to go on set when the shooting started in his many gangster movies, proving him correct in his assumption that some will get hurt, and this is when live ammunition was used for effects, it does beg the question though, why would you use live rounds on a film set, madness..........

Comment

With the AD giving the gun to the actor it is beginning to make me think that one of the people leaving the set due to problems may have been the heard armorer.

Comment

The obvious question is why in this day and age would you even need a gun with live ammunition on a film set?

Comment

I know that I am a pessimist at heart, but I have this suspicion that something else will be behind all of this. Baldwin has a long history of inappropriate behavior. You can only live that way for so long before it comes back to bite you in the backside.

Comment

The armourer and the AD will take the criminal blame and any court proceedings but Alec Baldwin should share the blame and he will suffer corporate liability plus reputational damage for his actions.

Comment

Hi Mike,

yes I agree "corporate liability" will rear its head I am sure in the final add-up. I also agree Baldwin will "dodge" the proverbial.... so to speak and avoid the full responsibility. (excuse my pun)

But we shall have to see how it all pans out once the "real" facts are in.

It makes me wonder that considering the amount of action movies made over the years - especially after the tragedy of the "Crow" and Brandon Lee...why, if blanks or any other "live" medium was/is still being used then I would have thought a lot more of these kind of incidents would have happened?

I dont know why they just cant shout "bang" at each other and add the CGI afterwards...or even use "caps"...much safer!

Mark

Comment

There is a world of difference between a actual cartridge/bullet, and a blank. It boggles the mind that this could happen. Hence my suspicion of more going on here than meets the eye.

Comment

Working...
                              X