The Kodak Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kodak Challenge

Steve brought up the brilliant idea of bringing back "The Kodak Challenge" that once ran on the old forum, I had forgotten all about it.

So here goes with the first one, hopefully being the start of many, relating to anything to do with Kodak .

Here is the link to the Kodak Challenge topic on the old forum:

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-b...=001632#000000

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Kodak_IMG_3637.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.2 KB ID:	45891

Kodak Movie Film Cleaner (-with lubricant!)

Now here's a picture that's from this afternoon, that in a lot of ways is from the past!

This is Kodak Movie Film Cleaner (with lubricant). It's a product that Kodak no longer makes, that would be illegal to make even if they wanted to (It's got that stuff inside that put a hole in the ozone layer!). It's got a price label on it from an extinct department store from an era when you could (and did) buy movie making supplies from the same store you bought your shoes, shovels and shirts from! The price is $2.95: less than the shipping charge would be today!

It's from back in my earliest days of film: teenage years. It was a great time. I got a part time job (at Macdonald's) and my first paycheck went towards a GAF (made by Chinon) movie camera and a roll of Kodachrome 40. A Baia editor followed soon, and my parents got me a projector that Christmas. I became a regular at the Camera departments of the local department stores (-when there were local department stores): obviously this came home with me one of those trips.

I didn't have a driver's license for another year or so, so processing meant two miles out and back to Fotomat by bike, twice! In those days I earned my movies!

Comment

Here's my Kodak 8 Model 50 from the 1930's, and still working like new!

Click image for larger version

Name:	kodak kodascope 8 model 50.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	45901

Comment

-and LOOKING like new too!

When they designed machines like this, nobody was standing there asking "How long do we want this to operate before it fails?"

Comment

Hah! I have that very lense that's on there! I have had this lense sitting around for years. I remember I saved it from some old projector that had a seat saved on the next junk pile. I saved the lense from it. Nice to see a working model, Paul.

Comment

Runs well

Comment

The Kodak Duaflex II
                Produced from 1950-54

Name:	IMG_5475.jpeg
Views:	396
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	46029

Name:	IMG_5474.jpeg
Views:	389
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	46028

Name:	IMG_5478.jpeg
Views:	413
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	46027

Name:	IMG_5481.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	46030

Comment

Doug I like the reflection in the view finder

Comment

Name:	P1080062.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	46067

Comment

Shot many 50ft cartridges on one of these Kodak Instamatic M14 Cine, fixed focus, never had a bad film even in low light conditions. Many happy memories on those tiny super 8 frames, memories money can't buy....

Comment

Name:	1st Kodak digital camera.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	46072

Comment

Kodak's first Super 8mm sound projector - a stunning machine built to 16mm quality and durability, and featuring 1200ft reels and the incredibly sharp Ektar f1.0 22mm lens. This was their showcase projector to launch super 8 sound. It was all plastic junk after this beauty.

Name:	Kodak M100 3 UL.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	46083

Comment

Paul,

I've always been kind of amazed by this machine: the timing as much as the specs.

This was first marketed in 1965, years before the first Super-8 cartridge sound film. Were there a lot of commercial sound prints available that early on? To me it seems literally ahead of its time.

It looks like it's got a lot of genes from its cousin the Pageant: which was built to survive The Apocalypse (-if not High School!). I've had my Pageant about 3 years now, and it's weathered on the outside by years of service at a State University in Wisconsin.

-still the same: I can't imagine anything taking this machine out that wouldn't level the house, too!

Comment

Classic Kodak Film Commercial (1975)

Comment

Working...
                              X