Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collection of 9.5, 16 and super 8 films, projectors etc

Hi
    My dad was a keen cine film collector, vintage film enthusiast and amateur cine film maker and I have inherited his films and equipment. They include 9.5mm, 16mm and Super 8 films and projectors, film catalogues and various spare parts - much of it from 1940s/50s. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or know how to find out what's working and whether the films are watchable but I'd like it to go to a 'good home' if possible. I'm happy to give stuff away (unless it's very valuable!) - maybe for a charity donation. Looking for advice on how to proceed. Thanks

The best thing would be to do an inventory of exactly what you have, and then simply list what you have in the films for sale section or equipment for sale, as most folks are hard pressed to just embrace a large lot of films.

Comment

Rosy, If you could either list or photograph the equipment and spares I would be interested in it all with a view to servicing and referbishing the equipment before offering it for resale. I would be happy to donate 50% of any final proceeds of this to the charity of your choice. Unfotunately I cannot offer any help with the actual films.

Nick Click image for larger version

Name:	Attentive.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	46122
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Rosy,

There are UK based film resellers that could help you out with the films.

For example:

http://www.fosterfilms.co.uk/

http://www.classichomecinema.co.uk/

You will get a lot less for the films than you would have selling them individually, but this cuts way back on the hassle!

Clearing out your parents' stuff is a real heartache! I hope it goes well for you.

Comment

AS a long-time collector, would be of a mind towards the short subjects and such, you could list some titles, whether in box or can, etc..,there is also a major collector show in Blackpool week after next...Cheers, Shorty

Comment

Hi Rosy. Sorry for the circumstances behind your new collection. The film maybe your most valuable items in terms of relating personally to you and family. As you are aware of the formats, I'd be inclined to check through for personal films and separate them. If 8mm and Super8 only, I'd also keep a good known working projector and viewer/editor. If you have the space, leave to one side and gather your thoughts.
            Ebay, I'm sorry to say, should be a last resort. Unless you're familiar with their fees and costs in postage. Packing projectors to protect them in transit is an art that requires material that isn't usually lying around. I'd use ebay as a guide to knowing what prices things have sold for. Thats just a guide. Once the two collectors have gone from the market, prices drop as there's no competition. But as you say, you would prefer a good home for them with little fuss. Thus, when ready and as mentioned, photo and list what you have and go from there. You may get better advice with more knowledge.
            All the best.

Comment

If you wanted to sell the items at Blackpool Film Fair (Sunday 21st Nov) please contact organiser Elaine Guest on 07931457817. She will tell you how to book a stall. Or, you could still attend without a stall and see Nick Regan & others there.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm just working through it all listing exactly what's there and will get in touch with those that have expressed an interest in particular equipment/films.

Comment

If I can deliver Rosy's dads film collection to Blackpool is there a dealer going there who would sell them for her? There are about 40 films, a mixture of S8 16 & 9.5 mm.

I would sell them myself for her but, like Rosy, I know nothing about the worth of films being more involved with the eqipment side of things.

If anyone is interested in helping out, please let me know.

Nick

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Smile.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	46646

Comment

Hi Rosy. Before you dispose of the films , I would check that you are not disposing of the amateur films made by your Dad as they may well be part of your family history and should be retained and perhaps transferred to DVD or a memory stick. You may also have memories of films made of family holidays and weddings etc. which you may regret losing. I have done this with most of the family films I have made and copies have been given to my children and grandchildren for their "Memory Boxes" I have always made memory boxes for each of my 8 grandchildren over the years!!! Ken Finch.

Comment

Ken,

I have seen the list and they are all commercial films as opposed to home movies.

Nick

Comment

Thanks Ken. Watching 'The Family Film' at Christmas was a big part of our childhood. We transferred it all to digital a while ago but I've kept the original films as well.

Comment

Hi , I will be having a table at Blackpool this year , happy to put them up for sale on her behalf . We often have collectors put films on our table to sell , just easier than the bring and buy ..
                          Equipment , I cant do , already have a couple of projectors to sell . Hope this helps

Comment

Great, maybe some things I've been after will be there...Cheers, Shorty

Comment

Hi all,

I have just realised time is getting short here so I need to pick them up from Rosy soon but I will be stting up our equipment table first thing on the Sunday so will be in the hall from the start, just give me a shout,

Nick

Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Logo.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	46717
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X