No announcement yet.

Digital VS Celluloid source ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since Dave brought it up, when we ask for submissions for CineSea's Friday Night Feature voting, the wording is "If you're coming to CineSea and have a print you'd like to show, please email me with the title and format (Standard 8mm/Super 8mm/9.5mm/16mm/35mm/B&W/Color/Scope/Flat)." I never thought of asking collectors to state if their print is from a digital source. While I think people are more interested in what the movie is as opposed to how the print was produced, perhaps we'll add that information next time.

Comment

Some interesting points have been raised on the subject. Looking at it another way, if you were to digitally source and produce a print of Gone with the Wind, this would equate to 8 x 600’ reels. Looking at the cost of Jurassic Park, £300 for 600’ this would come out at a staggering £2400. The digital blu ray is £ 7.99 on Amazon. I feel that this illustrates the point well, you would effectively be watching the same print as the collector with the Super 8 digital print, but at £2392 less.

Comment

Realistically, where would you obtain a negative in private hands that was in pristine condition that could be cut and edited for a 8mm digest. Collectors should accept that any future 8mm releases will have to come via the digital route. Definitely, an distinct improvement on the ham fisted releases that came from a certain dealer with green negative marks and sound faults and blips built into them and galling described as new.

I take your point £300 for a digital 8mm digest is steep but to each their own.

Funny, watched Gone with the Wind on Blu ray recently. Brilliant print much better than super 8 version but it is turgid stuff. Grossly overrated and at least a hour too long in length. Having three directors with different styles doesn’t help. Donated to charity shop as it isn’t best seller in any format.

Comment

I had a print that I sold for a friend of "Gone With The Wind, Derann, I believe, and it really good, but I certainly agree, a fairly overrated film.

Comment

I saw those digitally sourced prints at CineSea: even on that big screen they were spectacular.

This is where we start to get into philosophy: if you watch a film printed from a Blu-Ray, are you really watching a film or the blu-ray...(...or are you really watching the blu-ray watching the original film?) It's one of those "sound of one hand clapping" kinds of things!

This can go in all sorts of directions: Many people would ask why I bother with the Derann Toy Story print I have when the same material is available on disk for less than a hot pizza? The same logic might ask why spend a mortgage payment equivalent on a used, likely worn print when the disk is new, pristine and cheap?

-by the way: These are really just rhetorical questions. The best answer I can give you is it's your money: spend it on whatever makes you happy. (...within certain moral, ethical and legal limits!)

You can spend $40,000 restoring a 50 year old car when brand new ones are out there that are safer, more reliable, more comfortable, more durable and more economical. -just don't try to explain it to other people that don't get it!

Personally I am basically OK with digital sourcing and there are a couple of short films I would like to take in that direction. They are all films that were originated for 16mm projection and I want to experience them that way.

It is possible somebody might digitally bootleg a rare print and try to sell it as "vintage" someday, but it would be almost a work of art to get away with it. Besides: you could only pull it off once before it was obvious what you were up to (...and who counterfeits ONE $100 bill?)

Comment

We buried the Video vs Film in the UK years ago but I have enjoyed experimenting putting some of my own HD video of film fairs/Derann onto S8 for another short documentary. Its all been very uphill but after months of experiments it can be done and well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Newell View Post
                I take your point £300 for a digital 8mm digest is steep but to each their own.
                There was a 400ft (Jumbo Giant) Mountain print from the 1970's at Blackpool that still had its price sticker of £34 on. When put through an inflation price calculator it came up as now being £285. That puts current prices into perspective!!!

Comment

Lee - After seeing for the first time those two digitally sourced super 8 trailers that were shown at Blackpool, I thought the result was staggering! Putting aside the politics of the situation, if the super 8 fraternity can largely agree that this is an acceptable road to go down in the future, this could seriously be a new dawning for the 400'/600' cut down. Imagine, 3 month old films on your GS1200 !

Comment

I really liked the logic behind the "old car" analogy. That's us cine collectors in a nutshell! (and the nut is thoroughly cracked!)

Comment

I think new releases are the way forward. A steady flow might correct the imbalance in outrageous prices on old titles.

Comment

Especially when comparing them to original cine material for the negative because, honestly, cine negative material will pale in comparison to digitally sourced materials. As a person who released super for the collectors on the past, if the materials available, could have been digital instead of ole school cine negative material, I would most certainly went with digital.

Comment

Working...
                        X