Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Arpin
    replied
    I'm disappointed it wasn't shot in 65mm as was the original. If you've never seen West Side Story in 70mm you haven't seen it. It's a totally different experience. I'll go see it just out of curiosity. I like Maria's singing voice, and I believe it's her own. But I just don't care for the actor playing Tony. We'll see. I know Lance's theater is opening back up in December and I'm hoping it will have this version on film.

Leave a comment:

• Osi Osgood
    replied
    I agree with All on this, but if anyone could pull it off, it would be Speilberg. I'm curious as to why he would want to, though. It'll be PC friendly, though, to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Fretwell
    replied
    The Fly remake was a totally different type of film, the original was much more a mystery of what happened as it started with the the inventor being found dead, as that film had given the game away at the end the remake had to be more of an outright horror film starting with the development of the equipment.

Leave a comment:

• Stuart Budd
    replied
    I'm looking forward to receiving a cut down of Gold Diggers of 1933. Apparently, this too is a remake. Possibly overshadowing the earlier films, two I think. I'm guessing the Ginger Rodgers 1933 is the Classic. Possibly any remake can become the defacto classic, time will tell.
    I do like that clip of West Side Story though.

Leave a comment:

• Ali Hipperson
    replied
    Brilliant video Graham!

I very much doubt that you could beat Rita Moreno and George Chakiris for those superb routines 🙂

I wonder what the late, great Bernstein would think of his masterpiece of a score being re-filmed? 🤔

Leave a comment:

• Graham Ritchie
    replied
    Yep I think it would be pretty hard to beat this.......but you never Know

Leave a comment:

• Ali Hipperson
    replied
    Burton, you make a good point!

However, being a traditionalist, I think that any accepted 'classic' should be left alone so as not to detract from the well-deserved reputation that they have built up since their original release.

Leave a comment:

• Burton Sundquist
    started a topic Spielberg's West Side Story

Spielberg's West Side Story

Remakes of classic films are challenged from the very inception: Cinema purists are a tough audience to win over. How could a cinema classic be re-made and stand up to the original? In most cases they don't . The scene for scene Psycho remake comes to mind. David Cronenberg used a different approach in his The Fly re-make bringing the premise into then modern times and created a superior horror film...Having seen the trailer for Speilberg's West Side Story I have the feeling we are in for a new treat. Will it be as good as the original or something different and better?
Working...
X