No announcement yet.

Star Wars reputation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember Star Wars coming out in the cinema, and the long queues around the Gaumont in Bournemouth which have both screens showing it. It was the first time (at 10 years of age) that I saw what 'popular' meant, with merchandise everywhere and the local WHSmith displaying a poster inside, with a window display for trade outside. However it never really affected me when I saw it, even though I collected the cards with bubble gum, had posters, etc. Two other Scifi films affected me far more at the time as I remember the competing ABC cinema advertising the re- release of 2001: a space odyssey, which I really wanted to see, and did see. The other film was Close Encounters of the Third Kind, released a few months after Star Wars (in the UK) which scared me (and enjoyed that aspect). I think at that young age, I enjoyed more 'adult' films.

Comment

I admire Steve McQueen a lot, but he would have been waaay to old to play Superman. He would have been just fine playing his father, though. May the force be with you!

Comment

I wasn't alive during the original run in the 70's/80's, but I was 14 when Revenge of The Sith released in 2005 and I saw it in theaters five times with my friends! It was the series I grew up with and love, and even though it's not as good as the OG trilogy, I thoroughly enjoyed the world that Lucas built. I am grateful to see it on the big screen.

Comment

Yes, Steve’s wee wrinkly face dressed as Superman would be a sketch.

Thinking about Star Wars it does plough a very narrow line in science fiction. It is middle of the road adventure but not violent like Aliens or Terminator or serious like 2001 or Dune or silly like Flash Gordon, Fifth Element and The Matrix.

Apparently, George Lucas wanted to make Flash Gordon but couldn’t get the rights so Star Wars was developed with subtle adjustments. Funny, Flash Gordon came out in 1980 and tanked everywhere except UK and Italy as they had made a comic book film. Those type of movies will never can on LOL. Must be due for a Marvel Flash Gordon movie soon.

Wonder how many super 8 features of Flash Gordon were issued by Derann?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Silvester View Post
            Hi Mike,

and all...good comments and interesting.

As a slight aside I have to say Harrison Ford was in my favourite sci/fi movie - that being "Blade Runner"...mind you Rutger Haur really made that classic and that does have excellent "repeatability".

Also, Mike, I find it so interesting when we find out other actors that may have been considered for these roles. Perhaps one I could never ...ever imagine in a "Larger than life" role was the fact that apparently screen legend, Steve McQueen was actually a serious consideration for the role of "Superman". Could you have imagined that???Lol

Take care all - stay safe and dont forget your booster.

Mark
            Funny, Mark I went to see Blade Runner with high hopes when it came out and struggled to stay awake. Ridley Scott’s poor lighting didn’t help. A common problem in a lot of his movies. Talking of Steve I am tempted to seek out Enemy of the People just to see a fat hairy Steve do Ibsen. Read recently that Howard Hawks bought the book that became Dirty Mary Crazy Larry with the intention of directing Steve Mc Queen in what became the Peter Fonda role. A mad driver role would have suited him down to ground.

Got booster ages ago before it became popular just by being in the right place picking up somebody from local GP surgery and there were loads of surplus jabs from non shows that day.

Comment

He was great in that mid 70's prison break out film he did, I'm trying to remember the name, but I can't. Even though it was largely annialated by the critics, his second to last film, "Tom Horn" I felt was really good and was a good one to go out on. May the "farce' be with U!"

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
                He was great in that mid 70's prison break out film he did, I'm trying to remember the name, but I can't. Even though it was largely annialated by the critics, his second to last film, "Tom Horn" I felt was really good and was a good one to go out on. May the "farce' be with U!"
                Papillon. Should have got an Oscar for that one. I actually enjoyed Tom Horn and The Hunter. Died to young and left Mr Eastwood out in front on his own.

Comment

Programme on British TV Saturday celebrating the British talent used in the making of Star Wars
                  BBC4 10.40pm

Comment

Steve McQueen was his best in Papillon. I first saw this film when it came out way back around 1973, and to this day think its one of the best films ever made. Of coarse Dustin Hoffman was really good in his role as well. Papillon is a long film with a running time of 2hrs 20minutes.

We watched the blu-ray on the Epson VP a while back, and I must say it was great to again watch it, but this time on blu-ray quality I certainly would highly recommend "Papillon" to anyone that enjoys classic films like this

PS. On a side note I noticed actor Billy Mummy from Lost In Space TV series in it as well. I do remember the book release for sale at the time the film did the cinema run, it was "huge" .
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220001.JPG Views:	0 Size:	94.8 KB ID:	49617
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220002.JPG Views:	0 Size:	221.6 KB ID:	49618

Comment

I have a beautiful, near four minute long trailer for "Papillion" , it almost acts like a production short, letterboxed and brilliant color.

Comment

Working...
                      X