Who is "Squibs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is "Squibs"

Hey folks! I am just curious, does anybody know who the eBay UK seller "Squibs", is? I ask as, he'll have a really low starting bid and honestly he does have pretty good prints, but then he'll have a 43 pound shipping, for that 200ft print. The shipping amount is outrageous, but the strange irony, is that he had been doing this for some years so, as rediculous as it is, it must be working for him.

The only Squibs I can find is based in USA.

Based in United States, squibs has been an eBay member since Dec 02, 2006

Shipping varies greatly for overseas or foreign sales. Depends on how they ship or what shipping options they clicked.

Comment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/squibs06
      Based in Maldon, essex

Comment

I assume you mean squibs06

I've bought a few prints from him and he is a decent enough seller.

squibs06 uses the ebay Global Shipping Programme so does not set the international pricing other than the cost to send it to the ebay UK distribution centre (which is the same cost to UK buyers for that element).

The ebay Global Shipping Programme then adds on the cost of international distribution and courier at the recipient end as well as collecting any tax/duty (import charges) due at destination country.

I know you sell on ebay so if you enable the Global Shipping Programme on your listings you can then check the international cost in the Postage section.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UK.PNG
Views:	206
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	49841

Click image for larger version

Name:	USA.PNG
Views:	197
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	49842

Comment

I've also bought some from John who is also a decent guy

Comment

Currently on offer:-
            Items for sale by squibs06 | eBay

Comment

I understand the global shipping program. It's, of course, been written about many times, myself writing about it as well, but I doubt that the global shipping program demands a 42 pound shipping for a three pound, 200ft cartoon. If it actually does, then eBay or SOMEBODY is laughing all the way to the bank, against all the suckers who pay the GSP. I mean, I just bought three features from our own Keith, and it was 60 pounds, but that is THREE features, five hours of film fun, not five minutes of film for 42 pounds.

Comment

I am happy to be corrected but as far as I am aware the seller has no influence on the GSP cost (other than the local shipping element) so ebay is the one in control. By way of example the same seller is offering a 16mm 3 reeller and the GSP comes out at £44.91.

I've sold quite a few items to Europe and USA using the GSP and as far as I can recall I was not able to influence the GSP rates. For me the benefits of offering a listing via GSP meant I got the best price possible because I opened up the sale to the global marketplace without the hassle of having to arrange global shipment myself.

I agree GSP isn't necessarily cheap as chips but when bidding I just weigh up the total cost and bid accordingly. One the reel (sic) benefits of GSP is I have certainty of import charges versus the chance getting a note through the door demanding import charges alongside a ridiculous £8 handling fee from Royal Mail or the like. Help with customs fees and the Fee to pay card (royalmail.com)

Last year I bought 1000ft of Super 8 acetate leader from urbanskifilm and it was cheaper buying it on ebay via the GSP rather than direct from his website Urbanski Film as was the case with some regulator/rectifiers for a couple of my motorbikes from DB Electrical - Aftermarket Auto Parts - Starters and Alternators but I'm not sure that makes me a sucker lol

As you have expressed some doubts about how pricing element of GSP pricing works then it might be worth trying it on your next listing? I think John also offers GSP so may be able to share his experience.

Hope that helps

Comment

I actually used the GSP once, an item that, yes, I couldn't live without. The item took three weeks to arrive. Keith sent me my three films for 60 pounds, it took 5 days. I have bought from Barry from Independent 8 films repeatedly, shipping being 9 pounds for a 400ft reel. How long did it take? Just a week. I honestly am not so interested that I would do this, but I love to see someone "call" eBay on this GSP, and see just where all this money and shipping goes to.

Comment

Working...
                  X