A Train For Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Train For Christmas

One of the most popular films made by the National Film Unit in 1975. "Archives New Zealand" have put up onto you-tube, the full 25 minutes of the film and it looks really good. My 16mm print is fading but Derann did release it onto Super 8, but only as a 200 footer. Its a pity they never released it as a 400ft version, that would have been really nice, however the 200ft version is certainly well worth having

One aspect of "A Train For Christmas" is that it showed what life here was like back in 1975. Things were more laid back, not like today where everyone seems to be in a hurry, NZ has changed a lot since this film was made. Its a enjoyable film to watch, even for those who are not into trains.

Hi Graham,

You know this is one of my own favorites too: maybe the best on-screen portrayal of a steam locomotive I've ever seen! The only thing it's missing is the smell of coal smoke.

Derann did this to a number of their films, for example Take it From the Top is a 200 foot cut-down from a potential 400 Footer. I'd gladly have forked over the extra bucks for whatever they removed from either one. That much being said, they are both excellent edits and it's not that obvious that they've been on a diet!

Thanks for the reminder: my wife is encouraging that we stay with "Christmas Films" this week: I hereby declare this one qualified!
    (-so let it be written, so let it be done!)

Comment

Nice little filler at 200ft on Super duper 8. Think we got it in the 80's sometime but a nice film most certainly.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	santatrain.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	49809

Comment

I have a beautiful 35mm print of this under the title "THE KINGSTON FLYER" being a bit longer again at 2x2000ft reels.

Comment

I have a few of the BTF films("British Transport Films") made mosly in the 1950"s and 1960"s, Very nostalgic,and a good insight into the work involved in running steam trains.

Comment

Comment

The above is for you Steve as a fellow enthusiast.

It's a superb Wrenn 2-4-6 LMS Tank loco in maroon livery.

Comment

Working...
              X