Oh! And I bought a 3D Printer Too...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh! And I bought a 3D Printer Too...

If I don't have enough on my plate already, to buy a 3D printer is just crazy!

I do like to, at least, think! I can repair stuff. So added to my tools is a 3D printer. I already have a lathe and pillar drill, so 3D printer was on the cards. Why? Nobs! Knobs! I meant Knobs or control dials. Gears or pulleys too. A couple of my projectors don't have control dials, Elmo's. Why? Lost or bumped on a door frame causing more issues internally. I don't know. But I do want them fixed. Van Eck is the place to go. I like the idea of fixing them myself. Hence the 3D printer.

I won't go into the review of the best to buy if anyone interested as I've only done two prints in my life. However I will mention the two main types of printer:
    1. Filament
    2. Resin
    I've gone for filament. There are many brands and models which hold a varied price range. At this instant I won't recommend the Anycubic Viper but will mention it as the one I chose.

Hopefully, once familiar with FreeCAD, CURA and the printer it's self, I can get the knob I've always wanted.

You are a go getter Ste and reelly nice to see

I purchased a 3D printed 16mm to Super 8 core adapter but it didn't last. The wear of a spool being taken off and on the rewinders was just 2 much for the black stuff. In the end I had one made locally from metal. Anything that involves friction seems to be a problem.

One of my customers has a 3D printer think its a Raise he said, not up on them but interesting development.
    Last edited by Lee Mannering; December 29, 2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

IMO 3D printed parts are unsuitable for anything that contacts the film.
      I purchased a 3D printed worm gear for my Eumig 926GL from Edwin and that is working just fine - it literally saved the life of the projector as the original plastic gear had totally cracked rendering the projector unusable. So printed parts can be life savers for film projectors, but just don't expect them to be able to do everything. Anything requiring a very smooth finish and/or carrying a hefty stress load is out.

Comment

Great feedback. The pros are where the support is realy found with Van Eck being noted.

3D printing has it's limitations but a valuble source of development. Materials used and skill with all things printed are essential. Hopefully a tool to aid with the support of hardware and development into the future.

Comment

Working...
        X