Things We Accumulate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things We Accumulate

Apart from films that is I been looking at getting rid of tools that I have accumulated since 1967 when I started in the motor trade. The problem is that I don't use them anymore but can't bring myself to part with. Its really weird to think about it like that. The green toolbox came out with me on the Australis back in 1973. The red one was my "go away" portable to fix things from the airline days. Its strange when I look at this stuff, everything has a story to it. My Snap On socket set, came from the American Nuclear submarine base in Scotland, that I did a swap for some car parts. The funny thing when I worked for Mt Cook Airlines, we were expected to make our own tool trolley, which we did. The company supplied the steel, the wood and a 4 inch vice. What you made from those materials was up to you, there were some amazing creations people came up with. Later when I went to Ansett Airlines and there all the folk on the hanger floor had the ones you buy, not like my aircraft carrier on wheels. The people I worked with, would often say can we borrow your vise, borrow your bench, as there bought stuff was not built like this thing. You could stand on it, wheel it around all over the place, it was a great work bench.

So what do with it after a lifetime of use? do you have similar problem?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110730.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	5093

Name:	P1110728.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	5094

Name:	P1110729.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	5095

Graham

Until recently, in a very similar situation to this myself, I found that the conflict was between the heart-strings and the purse-strings. I knew that flogging the stuff would earn me a bob or two (translation: I knew that selling the items would earn me some money) but the heart started yearning as soon as the thought crossed my mind on some things.

Then.....

My mum went into a care home and I was left with clearing everything from her house...…..and she was a bit of a hoarder..... particularly when it came to ceramics and porcelain. Just when I thought I had won, something else would crop up and the finish line just vanished into the distance again. Eventually it was conquered. Ceramics sold, other items sold, furniture sold. It got me thinking as to what she would have done if I had not been around to do it.

Then the thought turned to me and my house. I would not want anybody,including my wife, to have to endure clearing my possessions from my house because, like Mother like Son, I can get a bit obsessive with collecting stuff.

Consequently, the mind set changed. I needed to seriously down size everything into manageable amounts...… just in case it's my time to pop off.....and not leave anyone a mountain to clear. I am pleased to say I am still in my 50's so, hopefully, it won't be my turn too soon!
    The change of mind set has helped me no end. Although I do keep some things that are r e a l l y precious, I find it is now easier to let go of things.

So, Graham, in your case you say you have stuff that has not been used in years, even though you hauled it half way around the world. It has served you well, but who would you rely on to sell it after you depart this earth? You may as well reap the financial benefit of selling it now. By rule of thumb, do you need TWO sets of screw drivers? TWO vices, etc? Don't leave yourself short, but don't leave your family a mountain to climb when the time comes. They do still have their lives to lead.

Just a bit of Food for Thought for you.

(Note: For everyone's info, I am nowhere near downsizing my film collection......that will be one of the last things!) (Sorry!)

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
      Apart from films that is I been looking at getting rid of tools that I have accumulated since 1967 when I started in the motor trade. The problem is that I don't use them anymore but can't bring myself to part with. Its really weird to think about it like that. The green toolbox came out with me on the Australis back in 1973. The red one was my "go away" portable to fix things from the airline days. Its strange when I look at this stuff, everything has a story to it. My Snap On socket set, came from the American Nuclear submarine base in Scotland, that I did a swap for some car parts. The funny thing when I worked for Mt Cook Airlines, we were expected to make our own tool trolley, which we did. The company supplied the steel, the wood and a 4 inch vice. What you made from those materials was up to you, there were some amazing creations people came up with. Later when I went to Ansett Airlines and there all the folk on the hanger floor had the ones you buy, not like my aircraft carrier on wheels. The people I worked with, would often say can we borrow your vise, borrow your bench, as there bought stuff was not built like this thing. You could stand on it, wheel it around all over the place, it was a great work bench.

So what do with it after a lifetime of use? do you have similar problem?
      Don't let it go, you'll wish you hadn't. Keep it.

Comment

We bought our house 28 years ago, just before we got married. We've never moved, which means we've never had the need to pick and choose what stuff stayed and what stuff had to go. Maybe five years ago we reached that point anyway, and slowly, carefully we've been thinning the herd ever since!

Somebody shows up and says "I brought you something!", my first thought is "Please don't!".

Comment

My wife sadly passed away in January after a short battle with cancer and nearly 35 years of marriage, I'm now left on my own with a house full of things that she had accumulated as she was a bit of a hoarder. It's going to take me some time to thin it out.

Comment

I been looking at getting rid of ...
            Sage advice from Red Green:

Comment

So sorry to hear that Leonard...take care.

Good point Melvin

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                So sorry to hear that Leonard...take care.
                Thank you so much Graham, much appreciated. Len.

Comment

I'm Sorry to hear that as well Leonard!

Comment

Originally posted by Mathew James View Post
                    I'm Sorry to hear that as well Leonard!
                    Thank you Mathew, I appreciate that very much. Best wishes, Len.

Comment

Leonard,

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Ed, thank you for the link.

I put most of my parents' stuff in storage years ago. It's all still there...

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
                        Leonard,

I'm so sorry for your loss.
                        Thank you so much Doug, it means a lot coming from you. Best wishes, Len.

Comment

My condolences also Leonard. It must be difficult for you right now. Give it some time you'll eventually sort out what needs to go and what will remain. I wish you the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Janice Glesser View Post
                            My condolences also Leonard. It must be difficult for you right now. Give it some time you'll eventually sort out what needs to go and what will remain. I wish you the best.
                            Thank you so much for your kind words Janice, I really appreciate it. It's very tough at the moment but words like yours are helping me through. It's comforting to know that people care. Best wishes, Len.

Comment

So sad to read that, Leonard. I add my condoleances to the preceeding ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X