Cinesea 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinesea 2016

Going through old "liked" you-tube videos this morning, I came across this one, so, I thought I must post it here, as its sure to bring back memories for those folk that went to it.

Enjoy .

Reely cool stroll down memory lane ! Thanks for posting . 👍

Comment

Your welcome

Comment

Yessir!

-Ocean Holiday Motor Inn!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	OHMI Hospitality Room.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.3 KB ID:	51801

Photo: Claus Harding

It was unheated, unsightly and occasionally uncomfortable.

-yet somehow it was home!

Comment

Oh dear. Ha Ha Ha, I cannot believe that whoever set up the screen allowed it to be used with all those creases in it, how unprofessional. This video makes you realise, if you didn’t already that Derann’s Northern Film Collectors Conventions were truly professional, well organised and the films professionally presented throughout. Uncle Derek and his great team at Derann are sorely missed and set the bar that other conventions can not even come close to.

Comment

Funny, I DIDN'T notice a crease in the screen while ANY of their films were being projected.
            This is just a bunch of fellow film collectors who get together and enjoy each other and the hobby for a weekend.
            It's FREE and best of all spontaneous.

Comment

David, look at the point in the video from 9.45 large creases emanating form all corners. Best wishes.

Comment

Phil have you ever helped organise a film convention? I take you havent or you would have realised it's very hard work and sometimes you can't get everything right. You come across as one of those people who would turn up at Blackpool providing you didn't have lift a finger to help out. We will all look forward to attending YOUR film convention where we can all relax and enjoy while you are rushing around.

End of rant,
                Graham S

Comment

Graham!

-Amen!

-and thank you!

CineSea is the end result of a great deal of hard work by people who do it for no other reason than the love of film and friendship for the people there. We work with what we have and make it better as we get opportunities (Our new venue is actually pretty nice!), but given the 65,000 things we get right every time, it's OK if we get a wrinkle in a screen here and there. Putting that screen up takes a lot of effort by quite a few people.

I know: I've been one of them!

Comment

Graham, there is absolutely no need to get personal. I fully appreciate that it takes a great deal of work to get a convention going, by a great many people, I was just amazed how creased the screen was. No more than that. You let yourself down ranting about a fellow member about which you know absolutely nothing and making assumptions about their character which is disgraceful. But in the interests of comradeship I will let it go this time and as Doug says stay on topic.

Best wishes to all forum members

Comment

Those creases in the screen that Friday were my fault, and I was the one that allowed it to be used. Since 2012, we've used a 9x12 folding screen fabric with reinforced edges and grommets. 6" ball bungees were then threaded through the grommets and attached to a backdrop support system that I owned and had used for filming interviews. Unfortunately, I neglected to bring the cross bar that the bottom part of the fabric would be fastened to. We improvised on Friday afternoon and that was the result. However....you'll notice in Todd's video that the screen is much tauter for the Saturday show, since we reset and added spring clamps and sandbags.

In April of 2017, We finally got it right. I brought EMT conduit and 90 degree fittings to Wildwood. With the invaluable help of the CineSea early birds who arrive a day (or two) before the show, we put together the frame that we currently use and it works beautifully.

First use of the new frame at the Ocean Holiday.

Click image for larger version  Name:	51619529535_047a152be4_k.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.7 KB ID:	51922
                      CineSea's current home, The Shalimar Resort.

We are now up to our 24th show, which will take place the weekend of April 22nd, 2022.

Comment

The Big Screen is a great Cinesea tradition. It's kind of like an Amish barn raising where neighbors come together and do what just one could never pull off. -and yes: we get a big screen out of it, but we also build that sense of community which is part of what makes CineSea special.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2579.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.6 KB ID:	51933

First of all, all the pieces need to come up from Doug's car to CineSea: at ground level up until #19, but now on the third floor. (There IS an elevator, and I suspect we put some miles on it over the weekend!) Then the frame has to be put together.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2580.JPG Views:	0 Size:	117.9 KB ID:	51934

Then the screen fabric gets spread out.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2584.JPG Views:	0 Size:	38.6 KB ID:	51935

After that, you can almost begin to sense the tension in the room! It comes in the form of a bunch of short bungies. If you are there, the word is grab a bunch, pull a loop through the grommet, go around the pipe, pull the ball through the loop, move on to the next. By my casual estimate there are some 85 zillion of them!
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2592.JPG Views:	0 Size:	60.3 KB ID:	51936

​-now the end result has to be wrestled upright and brought over to be placed in the stands (-with sandbags). Once again: this is where the community part comes in: I suppose one astoundingly-large guy could do this alone, but can you imagine the language? (This would be something between Buster Keaton Comedy and a disaster movie outside in those ocean breezes!)

It also should be remembered that a couple of days later, every last thing here (-and everything else...) needs to be undone, transported away and put back into storage for next time: -no pieces lost, carefully stored. If somebody walked into that room a day later, there wouldn't be a hint of several days of cinema that happened last weekend!

Interesting detail: When we changed hotels, we learned that our new ceiling was six inches too soon. That's where the bottom masking went! As I understand it, a seriously sized pipe-cutter had to make some adjustments!

There needs to be some acknowledgement here:

Our backstory is when a small committee of us came together to save CineSea after its main protagonist died, I originally proposed to bring my screen for the shows. Now, at 52" by 92", mine isn't exactly tiny for a home screen, but Doug had a MUCH better idea!

This is a creature purely of Doug's creation: it was his idea and he gathered the bits and pieces and laid out the money. He also wrestles it in or out of storage four times a year. Like a lot of great ideas, it didn't show up fully-formed and needed to be refined to reach its potential. I'm in the electronics business: we have this thing called the "prototype". I don't care what the Greek translates out to: in the real world it means "-the one that's going to blow up!".

I can say I've gotten a lot of personal satisfaction from this screen. I've been bringing my favorite prints to CineSea for years. -not only do I get to share them with a bunch of friends that really appreciate them, I get to see them do their thing on a screen four times the usual size! This goes for the others as well. Having that screen is a definite addition to the weekend!

-Thank you, Doug!

Last edited by Steve Klare; January 17, 2022, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Awesome explanation ! Talk about " staying on topic "

Comment

Brilliant Steve

I look at film conventions as a time where folk can get together and have a good time, we have them here as well but its been a few years since I last attended one, a fellow forum member here Pat still does.. I once won a film at one of them, went up to receive it, as I walked back a friend of mine was laughing. He said that's his old faded print he got rid of years ago I have got, added it looks like its done the rounds ha ha. I quickly turned around and went back to the stage and asked them if I could swap my "prize film" for a box of chocolates instead which I did and shared them around..

PS At one of our conventions myself, forum members Trevor, and Pat went on the Haggland ride at the Antarctic Centre, now the reason I mention this is to never do this kind of thing straight after breakfast. You spend most of your time bouncing around "big time" mostly off your seat, hanging on for dear life. It was amusing for me to watch other convention members looking a bit on the green side afterwards. The conventions here tend to be a bit more than films and projectors, ah! memories
                            Last edited by Graham Ritchie; January 17, 2022, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Gee Graham , I would have taken your " Red Print " in a second !

Comment

Working...
                              X