Yellow Submarine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Submarine

Well folks I have now completed 32 out of 33 week day radiation treatments' last one is tomorrow "thank goodness". However I did ask last week about the music they played while the machine was doing its stuff, the charming young ladies asked what would you like? my reply was "Yellow Submarine" one of my favorite Beatles songs from 1966 when I was very young

Today as I am one day off from the last, they played it, brilliant I thought while watching the machine doing its thing. The young ladies operating this stuff in the public hospital have really been fantastic, can't ask for more. I should add, that this was a follow on from surgery two years ago, which in itself was very successful, just that the PSA numbers have increased a little bit, so its a matter of wiping the bench according to one of the doctors. I should also r add, that for any "male" over 50 years of age, do get a PSA blood test every year. That cancer is more common than many people might think, early detection could save your life, and be around for a while longer to watch films and other things

Anyway here is a interesting look at our local hospital radiation department. Tomorrow I will give the girls a "thank you" card for putting up with me over the last couple of months, they were always charming and fun to deal with .

Graham, I hope and pray that you'll never need another treatment. Good health to ye!

Comment

Thanks Osi

One thing I noticed and I am not sure that its being a public hospital rather than private is how everyone chats away in the waiting room. Although the information is given by the staff, most folk seem to want to talk to others going through Radiation treatment, comparing notes you might say. Just last week as a name was given over the speaker system to come and get your "final" treatment, other folk in the waiting room clapped. For me going there on a daily basis has been a real eye opener. Today one of the girls said, are you going for a coffee afterwards?, I replied might not, YOU "go" and have that coffee and we will see you tomorrow .

None of us no what our future holds, but its important to enjoy each day as it comes around. I told one of the Radiation Therapists girls today that I think... "laughter is still the best medicine, "that machine" cant do it, but you can, and in my view that's a most important thing, and thanked her for it"

Graham.

Comment

I remember a 'Far Side" cartoon from years ago, that shows a terminally ill person in a bed, a lot of doctors and nurses, pointing at him and laughing, and the caption reads ... "Testing to see if laughter really is the best medicine"

Comment

In French, the Yellow Submarine became green

Click image for larger version

Name:	MCSV.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	52057
          Maurice Chevalier - Le sous-marin vert - YouTube
          Click image for larger version

Name:	CCSM.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	52058
          Les Compagnons De La Chanson "Le sous-marin vert" (live officiel) | Archive INA - YouTube

Comment

I'm sure there was a Liverpool tour (including the Albert Dock) that used a DUKW painted yellow and called Yellow Submarine Tours. That was a few years ago though.

Comment

Well today was real surprise, as my name was called and went to where the radiation machine is for the final time, There was a paper sign across the door, saying "Congratulations Graham" One of the girls told me that I had done really well considering I had it 33 times with little side effects. The staff there were really nice, and asked me again what music would I like? my reply was "you" pick something, so as well as another repeat of "Yellow Submarine" while I was being zapped, they cranked up the volume and played another Beatles tune "Let It Be" a nice choice so I thought

Once again I thanked them for there humor, and how important it is to folk like me, who have to come daily over a long period to see a genuine smiling face. As I was leaving one of the Radiation Therapists girls came around the corner, where all the computer stuff is, and fired a "party popper" at my direction. Boy did that go off with "bang" and boy did I jump. That led to more laughter, so again I thanked them for the send of, gave them a "thank you card" and left. , hoping never to return.

Comment

Great news Graham . It's so important to talk about looking after ones health. I hope your messages have encouraged others pause to think about their own situations and perhaps given them a little nudge to reach out if they have any concerns.
                Sounds like you have a great clinical team looking after you

Comment

There was Diana it sank a few years ago.

Take care of yourself Brian and love from us both here

Comment

Thanks Rik

The staff at the Radiation department I have met have all been wonderful and do there best for everyone going there. There is of course of some folk, in particular with brain tumors finding the radiation really hard going, some sadly I talked to, new time was no longer on there side.

The staff really try to put a caring positive spin on everyone going there for treatment. It also does make you think as to how fragile life can be, and how important it is to make the most of it while we are here. While I was getting the farewell treatment yesterday, there was a chap waiting to go in smiling away as to what was going on I had been talking to over time, he was a fisherman and ran a fishing boat up the coast, my thoughts were when leaving that, I hope he soon gets the party popper treatment as well, I did say to him heading out the door "your next" .

Comment

Working...
                    X