Talking Pictures Freeview Channel Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking Pictures Freeview Channel Change

Those who view Talking Pictures TV on Freeview should note that there is an upcoming channel change from its usual Channel 81.
    As from Wednesday 26 January they are changing to transmit on Freeview Channel 82.

Thanks Maurice for that info. I wonder why?

Comment

It's because BBC 3 is coming back as a terrestial channel next month, and they have had to do a little shuffling to make room for it.

Comment

Thanks, Barry,
        I wondered why the latest Film Club Newsletter said "Thanks a lot BBC!".

Comment

Hi, all

I love the "Talking Pictures"... its a wonderful channel - the best there is.

I hope they do not have to reduce band-with as a result of thuis?

Mark

Comment

I always thought that as it was from 7pm only that BBC 3 and 4 used a children's channel slot (CBBC, CBeebies) on the same mux that was used until that time.

Comment

Yes I did read last year about BBC 3 going back to terrestial tv but I wonder now if the BBC are regretting it with the license freeze for the next 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Sinden View Post
                Yes I did read last year about BBC 3 going back to terrestial tv but I wonder now if the BBC are regretting it with the license freeze for the next 2 years.
                And the possibility of no license fees after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post

And the possibility of no license fees after that.
                  Ah but will they go Pay to view of perhaps fill the BBC with inane Adverts.

Comment

QUOTE=Nick Regan;n52129]

Ah but will they go Pay to view of perhaps fill the BBC with inane Adverts.[/QUOTE]

Neither, I suspect.

Firstly, IF the licence is scrapped in its current form, they will still wangle some other way of getting the money from the taxpayer somehow, either through a charge on broadband, council tax or any other number of ways.

Anyone can see that they could just carry adverts like all the other channels do and the licence could be scrapped within a year, not five years!

But wait, that would mean producing programmes that people would watch and be entertained by and not programmes that preach rather than inform. Make comedies that are funny, don't try to re-write history in dramas and make escapist shows just that, escapist - not preaching about issues of the day.

Can't see them changing their ways, so can't see them going the way of subscriptions or adverts.

Rant over.
                    Last edited by Gary Sayers; January 19, 2022, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I see also that the channel Four Seven (which was originally on channel number 47) is now moving even further away to channel number 49.

All the other stations would like the BBC to carry adverts, of course, as it would stop people changing to the BBC when adverts are on the current commercial ones. Notice how they now have their advert breaks all at the same times!!!

By the way, all TV stations are paid for by taxpayers as the viewers will be paying VAT on the electricity used to power the sets and on any goods they buy from the adverts on them, none of the licence money goes to the Government as tax now, that was abolished and all the money paid to the BBC instead of a fee increase many years ago. Unfortunately they "forgot" that not paying would no-longer count as tax evasion, so the criminal charges for not havinf one weren't abolished.

Comment

I think the BBC is still great value, the adverts on the other channels just ruin it for me and I would rather pay my 43p daily,or whatever the license works out at,and have uninterupted programmes. The adverts seem to last as long as the programmes,which I find very frustrating.

Comment

I think a mixture of a subscription service (no adverts) and one or two national free channels with adverts is the way it will go. The BBC want to compete against Netflix and others. To do that you have to work on a global scale, not a national scale so that you can get large budgets from a world wide audience. Its atitude will have to change when it realises it has to make programmes people want to watch and pay for, rather than telling you at gunpoint to pay for that output, or risk court action.
                          I got rid of my TV licence back in July 2020.

Comment

At my age I did enjoy a free TV licence for a few years, but not any more. I could easily live without the BBC. There is a channel called Drama which shows old BBC programmes with adverts, I assume this is BBC owned.

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
                              At my age I did enjoy a free TV licence for a few years, but not any more. I could easily live without the BBC. There is a channel called Drama which shows old BBC programmes with adverts, I assume this is BBC owned.
                              I think it is only part owned by the BBC so it can show other companies programmes. I get rather confused about the name as they show a lot of comedies as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X