• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Pro Takes Flight

A South Island family on holiday had this happen to them, it hit the news

Kea are like that they will go for anything and afraid of nothing

OK, that was pretty funny!

Comment

The kea (Nestor notabilis) is a species of large parrot in the family Nestoridae found in the forested and alpine regions of the South Island of New Zealand. About 48 cm (19 in) long, it is mostly olive-green with a brilliant orange under its wings and has a large, narrow, curved, grey-brown upper beak. Its omnivorous diet includes carrion, but consists mainly of roots, leaves, berries, nectar, insects, and cameras. Now uncommon, the kea was once killed for bounty due to concerns by the sheep-farming community that it attacked livestock, especially sheep. In 1986, it received full protection under the Wildlife Act.

The kea nests in burrows or crevices among the roots of trees. Kea are known for their intelligence and curiosity, both vital to their survival in a harsh mountain environment. Kea can solve logical puzzles, such as pushing and pulling things in a certain order to get to food, and will work together to achieve a certain objective. They have been filmed preparing and using tools and taking selfies.

Comment

Brilliant Ed

Comment

Great story Graham

Reminds me of the fun times I spent in Australia and New Zealand during which I learnt the following:

Things that kill/harm you in Australia
          • Sharks
          • Spiders
          • Snakes
          • Crocodiles
          • Jellyfish
          • (Bull) Ants
          • Stingrays
          • Snails
          • (Box)Fish
          • Cassowary
          • (Blue-lined) Octopus

Dodgiest stuff I could find in New Zealand:
          • A parrot with a sharp beak that might break in to cars to nick shiny stuff
          • The Sand Flies around Jackson Bay can be persistent

Comment

Spot on Rik One of the things the Kea really likes to do is to go for your car windscreen wipers, they enjoy destroying the "rubber" blades. I was once on a school camp at Arthurs Pass educational center with my kids class. I went along as a parent helper I went out back early one morning to put rubbish in the "sealed" container. There was a Kea sitting on the lid, I tried to shoooo it away, waving my arms at it. The Kea stood its ground on that lid, and looked at me if I was some sort of nut. After a while and after a few more goes, I gave up, OK Kea you win, I will come back later

Comment

Working...
            X