Xenon Lamp Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenon Lamp Change

Its hard to believe its now been 13 years since I first took this video how time passes glad, its all history now, but glad I took some record of it and the cinema at the time.

Graham
    Were the lamps changed at a specific total running time?

Comment

Maurice

Yes the lamps were changed after a specific running time, we kept a log book for each projector. I am trying to remember, but we could run the lamps past it by a certain amount, I think another 25% past its recommended life was fine providing all was going well that is.

In 10 years I only had two lamps explode one in the Bauer, the other in the Simplex shown below. The lamp in the Simplx had only done done less than half its life the Bauer was about the same. Both lamps were replaced under warranty.

I still have the "BOOM" photos from the Simplex, it went with a bang and did considerable damage to the mirror which had to be replaced, not much left of this $800 dollar lamp.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	pict41 239.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	53819

Name:	pict41 240.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	53820

Name:	pict41 241.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	53821
      Last edited by Graham Ritchie; February 09, 2022, 03:24 AM.

Comment

When working in the entertainment lighting business I worked extensively with equipment discharge lamps from 150w all the way up to 2.5kw. As the actual precise voltage coming into a building from the street in the UK varies from building to building between -220 up to (worst case scenario) 250 vac most of the equipments running discharge lamps were fitted with a tapped transformer with input tappings of 220-230-240-250 vac.

When lamp was recieving the incorrect voltages, althought perhaps only a slight difference, they affected the discharge lamp in a few ways. one sure way of identifying an incorrect voltage and probable future problems with the lamp was the colour of the glass of the lamp.

If the voltage was incorrect the lamp glass would turn one of two colours, it would either turn Black or it would turn Silver signifying either too much or not enought voltage to the lamp. This would effect both the lamp life, brightness and integrity of the fitted lamp.

Unfortunately its been a while and I cant remember which colour signafied which but if you see the glass inside the lamp changing to one of these colours it signifies the incorrect voltage.

Nick

Comment

Working...
        X