Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What really is the absolute best storage container?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, and ts always worth getting new perspectives on a subject matter. Lets not forget that the forum already has a Technical Section for archiving a lot of projector related issues and fixes.

Comment

PART ONE:

On the subject of REELS

For film storage I will use just about any type that we know is out there. Mostly of these for me are 1200 foot. Elmo, Pliomagic, Posse, Taylor, Goldberg, etc. I actually prefer the steel type as they have thinner flanges which makes it easier if two are combined in one 16mm can for storage. Plastic reels have thicker flanges, and a can won't close 100% because of it.

My favorite reel choice would be Goldberg. Some of you will say they are heavier reels and not recommended for the take up drive on projectors and I agree on that. However my Towers use 35mm projector shafts with adapters for super 8 and they handle them perfectly.

The worst offenders:

1. Plio Magic. Very wobbley - scraping against the take up and feed arms. On the plus side very lightweight for projectors with rubber belts.

2. Taylor small hub blue plastic: Many of you swear by these whereas I swear at them. And in my opinion they DO NOT hold 1600 feet as promoted. One of these reels filled to the brim right out to the very edge - if spooled on to a standard hub Goldberg or Taylor steel super 8 reel at 1600 foot capacity - the steel reel will be under filled by one half inch.

3. Plastic reels in general. During the winter months when there is more static electricity in the air, these will produce it rather than not have it. I would imagine these electrical pops when discharged might not be good for the sound tracks - nor a powerful sound system reproducing the sound in the room. It has also been said that plastic reels are not good for freshly lubricated film prints but I have not done a lot of research on that.

But my Tower reels are very cool. They are Goldberg 2000 foot charcoal grey. But I went ahead and spray painted them flat white. This makes them easier to see in low light conditions. And before you ask I will say that there was no problem in film handling. The paint dried for two days before I started using them again.

Since I no longer have an enclosed projection room in my current setup - I run and work the machines with just lamp house light reflecting off the ceiling. I have some night lights plugged in under the Towers to help as well.

PART TWO

The Finger Switch

I refer to the black switch at the end of the Elmo shaft that clicks in to position to secure the reel to the shaft.

Did you know there is a reason why it can go up, or down, or left or right? That is, it does not bend in just one direction?

Well it's true.

You'll have to figure out which is which.

One way it goes closer to the projector. Use this position for thicker plastic flanges.

Use the other direction for thinner flanges on steel reels.

PART THREE

The Three Key Slots

Refering to the "peace" sign at the middle of the reel hub.

Take time to select the best one as they are not the same.

The best position or key to use will be the one that produces the least amount of wobble.

What is the wobble?

Did you ever go for a bike ride and as you pedal you feel the bike wobbling. Only to find out that a front or rear rim is bent?

Well in a manner of speaking the reel will move in to the projector case and away from the projector case as it rotates.

The idea here is one of those key slots will produce the straightest rotation under normal operation.

Proper position of the finger switch will help with this, too.

Stuff like this - figuring things out...makes me enjoy this hobby even more! I hope some of this will help those who don't already know. Thanks for reading if you are still awake!

CG

Comment

Great post Chip! I learned some good stuff!

Comment

Hi all,

my personal favorites - 8mm wise I like the plastic clam shells like U8 provided...you can make a small hole for air circulation in spine. (Also armour all is good for lubing and cleaning 8mm and 16mm).

I preferred the fibre boxes for storing 16mm although an aireated can is acceptabe to me for 400 -800 reels.

Cheers

Comment

Always liked the Bonum Reels and cans but by by in larges used cardboard boxes. Found metal cans far to bulky and inflexible and you could have near misses pulling films of shelf and an extra metal can and reels flys past you 🤕

Comment

Working...
            X