Movies that are better as cutdowns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies that are better as cutdowns

I don’t know if this topic has come up before but I am aware of a few films that were improved by leaving the bulk of the film on the floor. Therefore I will start the ball rolling.

1. Raise the Titanic - the full feature is interminable, but Derann’s 2 x 400 version is much better and is still quite leisurely.

2. Bandolero - I had never seen the full feature until recently on dvd. James Stewart, Dean Martin and Raquel Welch. How
    Can a western be so poor. The 400’ version is quite exciting and omits large amounts of Raquel’s.
    Poor acting and phoney Mexican accent.

I am sure other members will want to add to the list, please feel free to nominate your Golden Cutdowns that are better than the full length feature.

I’d say SuperGirl is much better as a digest than when I saw the full feature!

Comment

Can't really think of any Phil, I would always prefer the full feature although "Airplane" does come close .

Comment

I always thought STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE was better as 3X400 foot version. I only saw THE MUPPET MOVIE as a digest and was disappointed when I saw the feature.

Comment

If you include include trailers (the ultimate cut down), the list of features that disappointed would indeed be very long!

Comment

I think the Ken Films 400' cutdown of THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN is arguably better than the feature.

Comment

I have always liked THE TOWERING INFERNO 3x400ft and WHERE EAGLES DARE 3x400ft digests

Comment

Xanadu is the best example of a great double album compared to the padded out feature, it really works well as a 32 minute cut, whereas the feature is a one time watch

Comment

1941 !

Comment

Many years ago I made my own 35mm cutdown of Xanadu. It consisted of the opening credits, all the musical numbers back to back, and the end credits. It ran about 1 hour and fits perfectly on 1 big reel for screening without having to change reels. It plays much better than the full film. What were they thinking when they cast a guy who could not sing or dance as the male lead in a musical.

Comment

Derann's cutdown of 633 SQUADRON is very enjoyable

Comment

Not small-gauge digest edit but...

CINEMA PARADISO, director's cut vs international cut - this should be a prime example of "more doesn't always means better".

Comment

Wow! You're own custom digest of XANADU! I envy that! The neat thing is that it includes the Gene Kelly dance, which, in my opinion, is one of the high points of that film!

Comment

I'd say the Steve Martin film "The Jerk" is better as a cut down. I thought it a bit rambling in its full length version when I saw it on TV after having the 2x400ft for several years.

Comment

Working...
                            X