Mgm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mgm

Amazon has purchased MGM for 8.5 billion dollars.

They're first task will no doubt be to release as many films as they can on they're assorted "platforms" in order to make as much of that money back as possible.

Comment

...Another reason to hold onto my Amazon Prime subscription. I ended Netflix about a year ago.

Comment

I would ask why so high ? Can Amazon really make it all back ?

Comment

It’s the post 1986 movies from MGM the films prior to that date have already been bought by Warners (via Ted Turner) for their catalogue. So basically, it’s the James Bond franchise which is allegedly worth $7 billion 😂. MGM have produced very few films from 1980s. As a studio entity they have been a name, busted flush or empty shell from the 1980s.

Similar to Hammer who rise from the dead (pardon the pun)every so often. Woman in Black being their last big outing then totally unheard of forgetful movies.

What will ITV do for their tv schedules without Bond. Glad I have them on Blu ray.

Comment

as long as they don't tamper with the negs, then I won't write letters...so there...Shorty

Comment

Yeah I had a feeling it was all about Bond.

Comment

Spin off stories from Bond expected. Wee Jimmy Bond as a youngster, back stories for M and Moneypenny. Just like Star Wars with Disney purchase.

Comment

The mysteries of Q's workshop and the gadgets as well? I hope not the personal reasons for him being there!!!

Comment

Blofeld before he went Bad, early life of Goldfinger and Dr No. the possibilities are endless.

Funny they were talking about big 2022 cinema releases and everyone film was a sequel or franchise. At some point the bubble is going 💥 to burst for them with non attendance by audience.

Comment

In many ways, that is already happening. With the damned Covid, people are naturally hesitant, even with shots and boosters on top of that, to go into an enclosed environment like they used to. Sports venues are more often in an open auditorium, where movie theaters are enclosed and rarely do they have an adequate ventilation system. That, and, quite frankly, you can download most new features within weeks or even days of they're release and for about the same as buying a ticket, as well as better presentation, as a general rule, certainly audio wise and depending on your home theater, you may well have a better visual presentation.

Comment

I think this is happening particularly with the older audience. As you say you can download movies whilst they are still in cinema. Munich Edge of Darkness being an example

Comment

Amazon-Goldwin-Mayer?

Comment

Amazon is making a TV series out based on James Bond. No, this is not an April Fool joke. (not intentionally anyway).

Comment

Regarding MGM, look out for "When The Lion Roars" DVDs. I bought the VHS tapes of it back in the early 90s and still have them, but the DVD would of course be a much better buy of it these days. The old VHS tapes have a running time of 368 minutes, I would guess the DVDs being the same, its narrated by Patrick Stewart.

If you are interested in the history of MGM this is the title to go for.

Comment

Working...
                              X