1913 projector at the 1911 Electric Palace, Harwich, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1913 projector at the 1911 Electric Palace, Harwich, England

In case it's of interest to anyone here, the stunning 1911 Electric Palace in Harwich, England, is reopening after a long restoration. It's one of the oldest cinemas in the country, built soon after the 1909 Cinematograph Act, and heralding the move away from the travelling cinematograph shows found on fairgrounds that were normal before these 'Electric Palaces' started to take over.

Together with David Cleveland and Nigel Lister, I will be presenting a show of films from around the time the Palace was built, using my 1913 Gaumont Chrono projector. This has just been restored by Nigel. Most of the prints (all safety stock obviously) are from my own collection, but we are hoping to be able to borrow a print of The Battle of Trafalgar for the show, as this was shown at the first ever show at the Electric Palace. John Sweeney will accompany the films on a piano. The show is provisionally scheduled for 21st May, and tickets will be sold by the Electric Palace when the date is confirmed.

These photos were taken at a technical rehearsal, and show David, Nigel and myself. The lamphouse would originally have held an arc lamp. Nigel has put a modern 36v 400w lamp in it.

The cinema is an absolute gem. The projection booth can't be reached from within the building, to reduce fire risk. Instead, you have to climb a ladder on the outside of the building. A small crane was used to haul up the prints! For this show however, we are setting up my Chrono at the back of the auditorium itself so that people can come and see it.

The screen is the original one from 1911 - just a white painted rectangle on the back wall of the building! I wonder if there's an older screen anywhere in the world?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0140.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	58077 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0570.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	58078

Name:	DSC_0022.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	58073

Name:	IMG_5618.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	58074 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0138.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	58075

Attached Files

Absolutely fantastic all of you and thanks Chris for those wonderful photos. How I wish there was something similar in my neck of the woods.

Comment

What a fabulous ‘proper cinema’great to see such a wonderful restoration . So many of these wonderful picture palaces have been demolished to make way hideous looking developments, such a crying shame. Newcastle under Lyme some 8 miles from me boasted 4 such cinemas, all gone!
      I am sure it will be a great success and well done to all who were involved in the project
      John

Comment

What an amazing looking projector! And a gorgeous looking cinema! Good luck with your film show Chris, I really wish I could be there to experience it all.

Comment

Going slightly off topic.
          I assume the A1/239, EVD, 36 volt, 400 watt lamp needs a reflector.
          EVD 7787 36V 400W G6,35 C1 | 924031323306 | Philips lighting

Comment

Looks great, what a wonderful looking cinema, thanks for sharing.

Comment

The A1/239 was once used in a theatrical lantern for stage lighting to replace mains voltage 1,000 watt lamps so it should give very good illumination. Strangely they called them "Magic Lanterns" designed by Tim Burnam (?), I suppose due to the power saving.

Comment

Working...
              X