The Irony of Time ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Irony of Time ....

I was watching a music video of the Knack performing "My Sharona", live, (dang they were good! Literally note for note, instrument to instrument perfect!), and I thought about the irony of time. In the late 90's, they were on show, and Don explained that thee actual Sharona, which Don apparently had it bad for, was now in her 40's and in real estate. Ahhh, time. There is just that short, magical time in which this kind of wonderful, lustful rock song was a new and wonderful thing, and it still is, but time and events change ... But a certain rock genie caught a moment of time and preserved it, even if the world moved on.
    Starts
    May 25, 2022
    Ends
    May 25, 2022

I think back on the story of one song: how a major artist had some recording studio time scheduled and was desperate for something new. His songwriter was sitting there at the piano the night before racking his brain for an idea, but nothing was coming. Then he thought about how he'd been out driving in the country and saw a utility worker hanging on a pole and how lonely he seemed. The next morning he staggered into the studio and handed Glenn Campbell the draft for "Wichita Lineman" and they recorded a major hit that day.

Now let's not think about the composer or Glenn Campbell for a minute, but that man dangling on a utility pole in a hard hat. He may have just been repairing a bad tap or replacing a transformer or cracked insulator, and that's all that day was for him, just like every other.

-but without ever realizing it, this anonymous guy was making music history!

Whoever he is (-or was), I hope he liked that song!

Comment

That IS a very good song, haunting and lovely.

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-L_T6NlKtFs

Comment

Steve, Wichita Lineman is amazing. One of my favorites. Osi, I made a documentary with the Knack Guys many years ago. Search out “Getting the Knack” l think you will like it. We also got never before seen footage discovered in the Capital records vault. 16mm of them recording My Sharona. We cut a new video from it.

Comment

I've SEEN that footage! It's funny that when people think of these songs being recorded, that they are in fancy surroundings and such, but in truth, the actual recording facilities can be quite drab, but oh, what wonderful tunes come forth!

Comment

Working...
            X