Great to see a "new" Laurel & Hardy !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great to see a "new" Laurel & Hardy !

Having been a fan of Stan & Ollie for many a year, I have picked up on the fact made by a lot of people from whatever source, that the later features were of a lower standard in relation to their earlier shorts. I had previously seen "Utopia/Atoll K" their last film, which was not only pretty lousy, but they both looked soooooo unwell. A sad finale.

I had subconsciously avoided these in the past. However, I have also been in possession for some time of 2x3 disc box sets of these films and throwing caution to the wind, I decided to watch one the other day. The 20th Century Fox production "Great Guns." I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at the standard of both the film generally, and L&H themselves. Slightly less slapstick, but more comic dialogue. Certainly Stan was just starting to go a little green around the gills so to speak (even in a black and white film!), but they both still "had it in them!"
    The beautiful thing was....... seeing them in what was for me...... a new film. A real pleasure.
    I have 5 more to see. The next one in the series is "A Haunting We Will Go." Fingers crossed it will be as good as Great Guns.......... or maybe you know otherwise.....!

Melvin it’s been a long time since I have ever watched any of the 20th Century Fox and MGM features. “Great Guns” was the 1st feature they made after the last Roach movie “Saps at Sea”. I believe it mirrored Abbott & Costello Buck Privates plus there are “Pack up your Troubles” and “Bonnie Scotland” similarities It’s one of the better ones before studio control came into play and “The Boys” lost the fight. “A Haunting we will go” is not as good.

Like you, I could not watch Atoll K it is too painful and as you say lousy.

Ironically, a number of their later features are available as features on super 8 and the prints are very good.

Enjoy yourself new material as you say.

Comment

Mike - I am hoping to eventually see the rest in chronological order. Didn't realise these Fox features made it to super 8.

Comment

Nothing but Trouble was Movieland release. Roger tried to get me to buy it and I have seen Jitterbugs and Big Noise available as full features.

Comment

Saps at Sea is a really good print! One of these great things about the hobby is that, if you get one of the Lads later films, you can do your own edit of the feature. I recently did this with Atoll K. Yes, Stan is not well, of course, but with a skillfull edit, the film flows much better. A classic? No, but much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
            Saps at Sea is a really good print! One of these great things about the hobby is that, if you get one of the Lads later films, you can do your own edit of the feature. I recently did this with Atoll K. Yes, Stan is not well, of course, but with a skillfull edit, the film flows much better. A classic? No, but much better.
            Typical it was Saps at Sea. I think I eventually had all the L&H Hal Roach features except Our Relations which was always elusive. Flying Deuces is another one that divides fans.

Comment

Link to Volume 1 Fox movies DVD set. Best price £3.50 post free.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301820980036

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383501402662

Comment

Link to Volume 2 Fox set. Best price on ebay £3.50 post free

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383310320963

Comment

I have managed to see film #2

"A Haunting We Will Go."

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with it. Some nice set pieces including, in my opinion, a massively UNDER-rated routine involving the boys and two telephone boxes on the theatrical stage of Dante The Magician. A rarely seen and hardly spoken about gag which should have received far more praise than it ever did.

Comment

The post-Roach efforts do not get much airtime, except maybe Turner. Glad you found the first one or two refreshing. As a boy, our TV would run The Bullfighters and Nothing But Trouble on WNEW- Channel 5, then later the others...will look forward to our Blackpool meeting. Cheers mate and family, Shorty

Comment

You would think that after a few lackluster features, MGM would have allowed the lads to direct or at the least, have more of a say in how they're films came out, but MGM, while a powerhouse of a studio, also had a firm control over they're product, where the lads did best with a more "free wheeled" approach. Flying Dueces wasn't perfect, but was a big step in quality over the MGM lot.

Comment

MGM was the most uncreative studio in Hollywood. It was called the factory for a purpose and they controlled every aspect of their employees li Ed and work. I know somebody will come back about musicals but think about it’s pretty much toothpaste and wallpaper.

Comment

Worth getting the dvds quite nice quality as well

Comment

Actually when you see MGM logo on a DVD you can be pretty sure it is straight video release with no remastering or enhancement LOL or should I say MGM.

Comment

Famous film critic and writer of "Of Mice and Magic" ( a film about American animated cartoons), Leonard Maltin, said of the Warner Bros cartoons, " The best are among the greatest cartoons ever made and the bad ones are still better than most other cartoon studios best". This is the way I feel about the Lads film! They're best are among the best comedies ever made, and they're worst are better than the best that some other comedy teams made. All praise to the " founding members" of the Sons of the Desert!

Comment

Working...
                              X