This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jurassic World Dominion

Just watched it on the big screen today, sorry to say and I hate to admit it, that I found it a bit of a struggle to keep my interest going after the first hour or so. Without doubt its a "action packed" movie, full of dinosaurs running around, but after a while its gets a bit ho hum. "Story wise" I thought it was pretty weak, and I think that's where the ho hum feeling I got came from, but it saying all that it was great to see the original cast back together, a wasted opportunity in my view, it really could have been better

With a running time of 2hrs 27minutes its quite long. I asked my better half, who I should add likes the Jurassic Park/World movies what she thought of it?, and the reply was zzzzzzzz. The sound level at the cinema was a bit on the loud side, I think it was Dolby Digital 7:1 not sure, but even that was becoming tiresome after a while.

All up, I feel of all the Jurassic Park/World films I have seen over the years, this one sadly I think is the worst, "but" don't let me put you of going to it though, you might enjoy it a lot more than me, as everyone has different ways at looking at movies.

Right of to make a cup of tea.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1654750838630.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	61285

Graham... Special effects seems to have replaced good story writing. I watched King Kong: Skull Island the other day. Good cast... fantastic special effects, but no story really or character development. If King Kong had ate them all (even Tom Hiddleston who I love)... I wouldn't have cared. 😜

Comment

I’m not really surprised but pity you at 2 hours 27 minutes having to sit through it. A lot of movies now are all cgi and no story. When the box office comes from non English speaking countries they have resorted to silent movies without the talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
        ...All up, I feel of all the Jurassic Park/World films I have seen over the years, this one sadly I think is the worst, "but" don't let me put you of going to it though, you might enjoy it a lot more than me, as everyone has different ways at looking at movies.
        I was reading that the original Jurassic Park ran 127 minutes and "dinosaur images got about 15 minutes of time on the big screen." It is sad to see a series die by overdoing what made it successful to begin with.

Comment

I liked Skull Island. Turn off brain, have fun! ( I thought the WW2 vet was the most interesting and touching). There's a slight tear in my eye though. We have had these Jurassic Park films for thirty years, some have literally grown up with them. We have been over done with CGI these days. We have all kind of become jaded to a sense, and I have to personally admit that it takes a lot to impress me these days. Few Films actually impress me with new approaches. I can count the number of films that have impressed me on one have over the last twenty years. By year 2000? "Dark City". Recently? "Mortal Engines", that's about it.
          Last edited by Osi Osgood; June 09, 2022, 03:24 PM.

Comment

The reviews are coming in:

After being stomped on by “Jurassic World Dominion,” the please-dear-God final entry in the “to dinosaur or not to dinosaur” monster movie franchise, they’re practically fossilized.

The awful movie is longer than the Cretaceous Period. At two hours and 26 minutes, the behemoth is the heftiest in the 29-year-old series. But size doesn’t matter — “Dominion” is also the worst.
            - New York Post

There's something unfortunately symbolic about "Jurassic World: Dominion," which combines old and new DNA from the near-three-decade-old franchise and generates a pretty mindless mess. The nostalgia factor gives the movie an initial jolt, and there are, of course, some dino-sized thrills, but not enough to lift this XL-sized mediocrity out of the gene pool's shallow end.
            - CNN

In other words, the sixth and supposedly final Jurassic film has been souped up with the genes of James Bond, Jason Bourne and other such globe-trotting adventurers. Indiana Jones's DNA is particularly dominant. In one scene, Alan is in a rocky tunnel, brandishing a flaming torch, and he risks being eaten by a dinosaur because he wants to retrieve his trusty hat. I wouldn't be surprised if 50 pages of the screenplay were ripped straight from a dusty unused script called "Indiana Jones and the Land that Time Forgot".
            - BBC

Jurassic World: Dominion is a frustrating final chapter in the Jurassic film series, and one that feels like a missed opportunity at that. It's not a complete disaster, but it's a movie that simply follows the same bland formula that the past few entries were similarly guilty of. The dino-on-dino action will please fans, as will the return of the original movie's leading trio and the smatterings of humor. Those aspects aside, though, Dominion is far from the film we hoped we'd get.
            - TechRadar

Jurassic World Dominion might be a bit of an improvement over its immediate predecessors in some respects, but this franchise has lumbered a long way down from its classic start.
            -Rotten Tomatoes

The point of entertainment is not to wear you down, but you’d never know it from watching Jurassic World Dominion, directed by Colin Trevorrow. This is the sixth Jurassic Park movie overall and the third to hit, with its mighty, gnarled toes, since the franchise was rebooted with the 2015 Jurassic World. That film, also directed by Trevorrow, seemed far less soulless than this one: It at least allowed us some time to soak up the wonder of some of its images, like the sight of dreamily benign brontosaurus striding along a river, moving in peaceful harmony with canoes manned by human resort-goers. The movie also featured plenty of prehistoric beasties chomping down on unfortunate humans, if that’s what you came for. Yet even with all its blockbuster slickness, the movie didn’t crack you over the head with the relentless stupidity of its plot.
            - Time

Comment

One disappointing aspect was Sam Neill put on American accent. In the first film he was asked to do it a little which was fine, in JP3 he was very much as himself which was good, but in Dominion I started to think? is it really him speaking, or is it someone else voice dubbed over. Sam Neill is a New Zealand actor and putting on a American accent this strong just didn't sound right.

Janice you mention "Skull Island", this one sadly was another movie I watched a while back, that just didn't work for me either.

Comment

Many of my favorite films were given bad reviews when released. Personally I can’t stand critics.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                  One disappointing aspect was Sam Neill put on American accent. In the first film he was asked to do it a little which was fine, in JP3 he was very much as himself which was good, but in Dominion I started to think? is it really him speaking, or is it someone else voice dubbed over. Sam Neill is a New Zealand actor and putting on a American accent this strong just didn't sound right...
                  Now I am going to have to watch Dominion just to hear his American accent.

Sam Neill has joked working on 'Jurassic Park' was an "actor's nightmare".

The 74-year-old star - who was born in Northern Ireland but moved to New Zealand as a child - played Dr. Alan Grant in the 1993 classic and initially spent a month mastering an American accent for the role until he was told by director Steven Spielberg to use his own, and then something "in between".

He said: "[Steven] came up to me halfway through the day and he said, ‘Hey, Sam, you know the accent we were talking about?’ I said, ‘Yeah, I’ve been working on it for four weeks...’ He said, ‘Don’t worry about it, just use your own voice.' I said, ‘That’s great, Steven, thank you so much.’ And then four days later, he came up to me and said, “You know that voice you’re using now?’ I said, ‘Yeah, my voice?’ He said, ‘Somewhere in between.’ It was an actor’s nightmare!"

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Taffis View Post
                    Many of my favorite films were given bad reviews when released...
                    Joe, you are not alone. Check this out:

33 Hilariously Bad Reviews of Classic Movies

Comment

Good points about reviewers. I have never listened to a single reviewer, until after I have seen a film.

Comment

Made a ton of money this weekend. Universal will undoubtedly find a way to reboot it. Jurassic Universe?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...?ref_=bo_hm_rd

Comment

Nice to see that Dinosaurs still retain they're magic. I am always amused when raters and otherwise, will complain about story or character development, when folks who go to these films just want to see a bunch of Dinosaurs crunch a bunch of idiots!

Comment

I went to see it with my grandsons and they sat transfixed for the whole 2 hours and 35 minutes, we all really enjoyed. I never listen to the critic’s, they have their heads stuck up their own butts. The story was OK and the sound and picture were superb and it had plenty of action.

Comment

I’ll give it a miss 🥴there’s two and half hours of time saved plus cinema fees 🤑

Comment

Working...
                              X