Edison's Kinetoscope machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edison's Kinetoscope machine

Ever since the day as a child I was taken to the London science museum, I have had a fascination for Edison's Kinetoscope machine ,and being told that this was the machine that started the entire film industry as we know it today. Of course from that day I have always dreamt of owning one.
    I fought my luck had come up, back in the mid 80s when one came up for sale Christie's auction house, sadly for me it sold for just under half a million, so I went back to dreaming.
    About five years ago I decided to have a go at building one from scratch, if I knew then what I now know I wouldn't have bothered as it has been a journey to hell and back.
    To start with there is so little information out there about this machine, everywhere on the internet on every site it just the same copy and paste wikipedia entry, there is just no detail, considering the importance of this invention.
    Looking back the entire project would have been so much easier if I could of had hands on access to an original machine. I managed to find out that Edison came up with this machine about the same time as the Lumiere brothers invented their Cinematograph machine. Edison only leased out the units to anyone who wish to set up kinetoscope parlor, but never sold them. Only a handful of the machines made their way out of the U.S and these are the the machines that survived, as soon as the word got back that the lumieres had produced a machine that could project film on to a screen ,Edison recalled all of his machines to be able to use the parts from these to produce his kinetoscope projectors, that's why there is only 8 known machines in the world and all of these are housed behind glass.
    I started out trying to study low res photos to see how the cabinet was constructed, and this was the start of the problems. My first attempt looked more like Mr Bean has had a go at making it, and it went straight on the bonfire, so I went back to the drawing board.
    Fortunately I own a large table CNC router machine so I decided to produce the panels for the cabinet out of one piece of wood, at least by doing this the doors will match exactly the outer frame. After the cabinet was completed this is where the nightmare begins, the mechanism!
    I knew from the start that I would need twenty 35mm rollers, a film gate and more importantly a large 35mm sprocket. All of the parts for the mechanism I needed to draw and print on a 3d printer for this to ever work. The rollers were pretty easy to produce but seemed to take forever to print this amount with each one taking about fourteen hours to print.
    But the biggest problem was the sprocket, this is not an easy thing to draw on cad software as it needs to be absolutely perfect. Even the pitch of the teeth will affect the way the film is transported over it without it ripping the film to pieces. Before anybody suggest using a projector sprocket these sprockets were very large 180 teeth nothing like a projector sprocket, so I had to produce one from scratch, this took well over a year to complete.
    The next problem was synchronizing the transportation of the film with the shutter. Like I said before if only had access to an original machine I could have measured the gears and counted the teeth to get the exact gear ratio, instead this took about another year and a half to complete, by this time I just wanted to put an axe through the top of it never to see it again.
    But I persevered with it, the machine is coin activated and runs for one minute using a didital counter and a relay board which shuts the power down when the clock has reached zero. The machine runs fine but still has an issue with the frame slowly running out of rack over the minute run, but hey it works.
    For my next project it was to build a Mutoscope machine ( but I think I will give that one a miss. )

Steve.

Well done with that it looks great.

I would have thought that a Mutoscope would be easy compared to this, having seen one at the Bradford museum many years ago. Getting the pictures fixed on the core to use in it would be the difficult part.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post
      Well done with that it looks great.

I would have thought that a Mutoscope would be easy compared to this, having seen one at the Bradford museum many years ago. Getting the pictures fixed on the core to use in it would be the difficult part.
      I found this at https://www.instructables.com/Mutosc...ranked-Cinema/

Introduction:
      Hello, this is my first instructable I hope you like it. Please comment at the bottom if there is something you don't understand I'll do my best to make any corrections or clarifications. This instructable will teach you how to make a hand cranked mutoscope out of simple materials. By making this device you can see how animation works and how traditional projectors work. I wanted to build this because I love antiques and wish I grew up during the penny arcade era. I hope you like it! This project overal costed me about $20-$30 just what a student can afford

What is a Mutoscope?
      A mutoscope is a primitive version of the TV and Movie projector. The mutoscope was developed by Herman Casler in 1894. Mutoscopes were found at many Penny arcades and Piers. The mutoscope industry crashed when the projector was invented and movie theaters were built. However there still remained an audience when the mutoscopes started to play exotic dancers on their reels. Mutoscopes are often referred to "What the Butler saw" because the viewing port made one feel like they were peering into a key hole spying.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F1M31WTGUYMFVO7.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	62763 Click image for larger version

Name:	FLP33UJGUYUABWR.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	62766

Attached Files

Comment

I love this series of posts! One of my earliest introductions to film was the book "Paper Movie Machines", which not only gave you a history of early film and the machines involved, but also gave you little, cut out film machines, flip books, ect. Could you imagine if all of us Cinegeeks had existed during that early period of the 1890's to about 1915? We would have been spending endless hours in these penny arcades, and running these early film parlors. I wonder if Edison and the Lumiere Brothers had any idea as to how much film would end up becoming such a influence in all of our lives.

Comment

Working...
        X