Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Legendary Joe Meek..writer of "Telstar"

Hi all,

as some may know I have a big music interest especially toward 50's60's music.

Joe Meek who brought the most amazing "new" kind of sound was one of my favorites. there is great documentary about Joe on You Tube.

He suffered severe mental health issues but boy...did some great songs come out of his tiny flat with all the musicians playing either in the kitchen...bathroom or even on the stairs.

I've just dome my own cover with video slide show of one of my favorites - "Johnny Remember Me"

here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9iHDIMH0Fo

Can any one in the USA tell me if this song was a hit over there. John Leyton became a big film star (Great Escape)
    and still tours singing in the U.K.

Take care all.

Mark "Silvo"

Hi Mark,
    I vaguely remember that song, but of course it was nowhere near the international smash hit that Telstar was.
    Joe Meeks IMO was a musical genius, right up there with Phil Specter. The original recording of Telstar by the Tornados is just as awesome and impactful today as it was back in August 1962:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPDvsLSnUGc

Comment

I really liked the Ventures version of Telstar. One of those songs that are synonymous with 60's instrumentals, period!

Comment

By the way, "Johnny Remember Me" would have a great theme song for a 60's western, TV or feature film.

Comment

Hi, all

thanks for your replies.

As Paul knows.."Telstar" played by the U.K. band "the Tornadoes" was instrumental in changing sound,... I'll put a couple of links up to the documentary. PLEASE if you have never heard about Joe Meek watch it.

Like Paul says he is absolutely UP there with Phil Spector.

He suffered with serious depression made worse from amphetamines' use...but all his recordings were done in a rtny flat on the Holloway Rd

also below is the link to the Joe Meek documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPU3usZApKk

Best to all.

Mark "SIlvo"

Comment

Oh yes and he died tragically by shooting his landlady at his flat and killing himself afterword with the same shotgun..(Heinz's actually).. the movie they made called "Telstar" is a pretty good recreation...but i will say that I will defend Heinz Burt from so many of the accusation's...Joe did indeed become fixated with him - Heinz - but a lot of the other stuff is not true. I've been able to get a lot of that verified thorough conversations I've had with Jet Harris, Jess Conrad and others including Heinz Burt's friends.

I will put the link to the feature below.

The most interesting thing about "Telstar" is that opening sound was a pure microphone put out of the window in Joe's flat...and he recorded someone with a pneumatic drill..absolutely true. That's music genius!!

Enjoy this film - but its not completely accurate about Heinz Burt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsSYqbv9mx8

Comment

Hi all,

I will only say this briefly - as a cant comment on other forums...I don't ask anyone to listen to my You Tube channel or either like or dislike my version of "Johnny Remember Me"...but I'm not getting into a "bun fight" with anyone as Ive told Doug that . Life's too short and unfortunately I've just got Covid again..that's twice now..and its very uncomfortable in the U.K. at the moment with this heatwave.

I will say though that I have 2.500 subscribers to my channel all over the world. Its for fun..and all my stuff/recordings gets the singers their copyright back..so like I sad I'm just trying to move forward.
              Take it easy all.

Mark "Silvo"

Comment

Mark - Reading this topic and particularly the bit about "Telstar" reminded me of two completely surreal situations I was in over the same weekend.

Around the late 1990's I attended a 60's music revival weekend at the Brighton Center. That weekend, they were only using the downstairs area and the upstairs being closed off. At one point I sneaked upstairs for a short time to hear and see the bands from a different viewpoint. Next band on...... The Tornados and, yes, Telstar ! I got an absolutely corking view of the band as there was no one else up there, the music was loud, most of the loudspeakers were aimed up at me so I got this complete wall of sound blasting at me and a playing of Telstar that I will never ever experience again. A moment in time.....

The presenters of the weekend were Mike Read ( He of Radio 1 and The Footage Detectives fame), and the late great Brian Matthew. The band members and singers were also very amiable and were quite happy moving around and mixing with the crowd. The surreal moment occurred when, at one point, myself and my friends were in a big circle talking music with the likes of The Swinging Blue Jeans, Jess Conrad, Chris Farlowe, Mike Berry, The Searchers and The Merseybeats.

Try doing THAT in the 1960's ! (Sadly, the three remaining Beatles (as it was then) couldn't attend......)!!

Isn't it fabulous when life throws you into a wonderful situation that one could never have anticipated being in?

Comment

Well folks if you remember the 1960s you must remember the "Pirate Radio Stations" we ran "The Boat That Rocked" at the cinema, the ending was brilliant. Hope you good followers of those times have watched it .

Comment

Fascinating thread Mark. Interesting that John Leyton (Tunnel King) is still going strong. I remember reading he had a musical career in addition to the films The Great Escape , Von Ryan’s Express , Krakatoa etc

Comment

Get over this second dose of covid soon, Mark, best wishes.

Comment

And who can ever forget this other fantastic sound from 1960 played by the legendary Hank Marvin :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB91ayDlQLE

Comment

Another great instrumental. A lovely electric guitar, played by someone who knows what they are doing, can so stand on they're own, with little accompany it.

Comment

Some odd contributions. Peace and Love.
                            Last edited by Rob Young; July 22, 2022, 07:44 AM.

Comment

It's very hard to find but 'Telstar' exists on 16mm with magnetic sound, as it was a Scopitone. It unfortunately wasn't one of the Technicolor ones, as indicated by this faded, worn copy: www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr1H4hCBtko
                              Last edited by Adrian Winchester; July 23, 2022, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X