The Steven Spielberg Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Steven Spielberg Story

I saw the trailer to The Fableman's and thought what a much better film it will be than his take on West Side Story. I didn't know it was about him until I read this article:

https://time.com/6213123/the-fabelma...lctg=207233102

If you don't want to know anything about the movie I suggest you skip this article and wait for the movie to come out. Here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux9505OHdU8

Thanks for those links Larry, very interesting read and trailer. I will have to pester Reading cinemas to get this one
    Last edited by Graham Ritchie; September 15, 2022, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Well just got a reply from Reading they don't intend to screen it, what a useless bunch hopefully some art house cinema will have the brains to get it.

Comment

There was a documentary recently about Speilberg, about two and a half hours long, which was really illuminating about his motivations behind his style of film-making, that I would highly recommend.

Comment

Spielberg used to make Great movies but with few exceptions after War of the Worlds he has been in decline. Was it after artistic recognition “Oscars” or did he just decide to play safe bets at the box office?

Comment

Mike, I would disagree. I consider War Horse, Bridge of Spies, Lincoln, The Post and West Side Story to be exceptional films. I enjoyed Ready Player One but it's not anywhere near his top level. I did not like The BFG and found War of the Worlds to be a disappointment. It has been awhile so I should rewatch that one and give it another chance.

I'm looking forward to The Fablemans.

Comment

Hi Doug

War Horse watched it once it was passable. Bridge of Spies haven’t seen, Lincoln bored me to tears seemed to go on forever and film by candlelight was awful to look at. The Post which is a take on the Watergate story just didn’t take off. Ready Player One was an disappointment. West Side Story didn’t interest me why remake an existing classic. Like you I didn’t like BFG and War of the Worlds was awful.

He seems to have lost his mojo ☹️

Comment

I have as yet to watch "The War Horse" on blu-ray, but have watched it at home on 35mm a few times. It was a film recommended to me a while back by my son Steven. I thought it was well done, good story. I have been thinking of late, of screening it again as its still on 6000ft reels, which makes it easy to put back onto the platter. I did watch another Spielberg film, being the original edit of "ET" on blu-ray a few nights ago, although good I will screen the 35mm print again soon, as also in this case the film print does look even better

Anyway here a couple of screen shots from a previous home screening on 35mm of "The War Horse". I must say the print really does look fantastic, as with the full Dolby Digital 5:1 soundtrack.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050723.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	65948

Name:	P1050743.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	65949

Name:	P1050767.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	65950

Name:	P1050785.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	65951

Name:	P1050808.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	65952

Name:	P1050832.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	65953

Name:	P1050850.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	65954

Name:	P1050857.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	65955

Name:	P1050921.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	65956

Name:	P1050929.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	65957

Comment

As a die-hard sci-fi fan I thought his take on War of the Worlds was exceptional. Comparable to the original. Saw it in the theater and just watched it recently. Mike, you should check out Bridge of Spies, it's very good, especially Mark Rylance's performance. I loved some of the dialogue, especially when Tom Harks asks Mark Rylance's character, "Aren't you worried?" His response was precise. My wife enjoyed West Side Story but I thought, when I first heard about it, was an unnecessary remake. I've always loved the original.

Comment

Hi Larry I think the main problem with War of the Worlds was casting. Tom Cruise and annoying kids. I will check out for Bridge of Spies.

Mike

Comment

"War Of The Worlds" did very well at the cinema, but it wasn't until it came out on blu-ray that I finally watched it. I thought it was ok, not as good as the original, but you can't expect that.

Another two films that we ran that were directed by Steven Spielberg, were "Catch Me If You Can" 2002, and my personal favorite "The Terminal" in 2004, both were very popular. We closed in 2011, so never had the chance to screen "The Adventures Of Tintin" that came out around late 2011.

"The Adventures Of Tintin" was a collaboration between Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson. This release was also directed by Steven Spielberg. I have it on blu-ray 3D and its really good, I still have the movie posters and 35mm trailers.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300804.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	66005

Comment

Bridge Of Spies. Took the plunge bought the Blu ray. Loads of copies bargain price £2.15 post free. On the plus side great period detail good production value and well acted. Hanks and Rylance give good performances. Negative side plodding, pedestrian to the point of tedium overlong 2 hours 20 minutes safe and predictable. You will watch in once.

So different from young Spielberg work but very characteristic with all the failings of the recent output

One for the charity shop unless there are any takers. Click image for larger version

Name:	B42A7BE7-1554-4285-BB6F-715BA3F7310B.jpeg
Views:	336
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	66248

Comment

Good News "Studiocanal" New Zealand will be giving "The Fabelmans" general "cinema" release on the 5th January 2023, looking forward to watching it.

Comment

As much as I admire Speilberg's films, I wonder if Speilberg stepped away from the directors chair for the 5th Indiana Jones film,due to the (in my opinion) unjustified "ageism" stuck on it by the idiot Zgeneration crowd, ("like Indy is so totally old OMG! Is that a wrinkle I see!?!"), and he didn't want a stigma on the film, before it's even released? "Like, modern films have 2 B directed by yung pipples, or I won't bother with it, cuz they talk to MY generation ... and that makes dem guud" (using proper Z speech).

Comment

That's good news, Graham. It's the only film I look forward to.

Comment

Working...
                              X