Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars Extravaganza

Brilliant look at "Star Wars"

Saw that as I have subscribed to the channel. Excellent as he goes through ALL versions.

Comment

Very in depth analysis but personally I think Star Wars is a good movie but grossly overrated. It could all have gone horribly wrong watch Flash Gordon that was the original concept. He didn’t mention Spaceballs it’s sister movie. Special effects and James Earl Jones voice are the saving graces. Can you imagine David Browse delivering Darth Vader’s dialogue.

I recently watched all 9 movies in their right order.

Phantom Menace the worst (George directed it so that explains it) I was stretched to get through it.

Number 2 and 3 were okay. Great effects

Star Wars seen it the most. Still feel it is over long

Empire and Return of the Jedi actually enjoyed the most and the improvements and digital clean up do improve the movies.

Number 7-9 are Disney getting their money back. Basically same story over again . Two leads are non existent PC placements. The villains were quite good . The old cast Han Leila and Luke are there for a pay day. Not bad movies but not classics.

The other stand alone movies and tv series I’ll give them a miss Life is tooooooo short.

Son in law who is Star Wars fanatic saw Solo and said it was the biggest load of 💩💩💩 enough said.

May the force be with you Jedi Kinghts.

Comment

I felt that for the original three seeing them at the time of release in 70mm was the best. especially on the old curved screen at the Marble Arch Odeon. That is before it was put less curved for the Laurence of Arabia re-release.

Comment

Joseph Campbell and the Mythology of Star Wars

"The Power of Myth" — Bill Moyers’ groundbreaking conversations with Joseph Campbell. In it, the world-renowned mythologist draws parallels between the Star Wars films and mythological themes of heroism, spiritual adventure and the actions of man. See more conversations with Moyers and Campbell.

Joseph Campbell and The Power of Myth

In this beloved 1988 PBS series, mythologist and storyteller Joseph Campbell joins Bill Moyers to explore what enduring myths can tell us about our lives. In each of six episodes –“The Hero’s Adventure,” “The Message of the Myth,” “The First Storytellers,” “Sacrifice and Bliss,” “Love and the Goddess,” and “Masks of Eternity” — Moyers and Campbell focus on a character or theme found in cultural and religious mythologies. Campbell argues that these timeless archetypes continue to have a powerful influence on the choices we make and the ways we live.

Released shortly after Campbell’s death on October 30, 1987, The Power of Myth was one of the most popular TV series in the history of public television, and continues to inspire new audiences.(1988)
          The series is available here: https://billmoyers.com/series/joseph...-of-myth-1988/

Comment

This topic prompted me to watch the blu-ray the other night. Its unlikely at this point in time, that I will move into 4K, but at present just happy with the blu-ray. The last time I watched "Star Wars" 1977 I nearly fell asleep, I am afraid after 45 years for me, the interest in it is slipping away.

However I did manage to watch it, some screen shots are below. "Star Wars" from Ken Films bought new on its Super 8 release more than any other release, was a real game changer for Super 8 back in the 1970s that's for sure .
            Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300955.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	66606

Name:	P1300956.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	66607

Name:	P1300915.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	66608

Name:	P1300919.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	66609

Name:	P1300939.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	66610

Name:	P1300941.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	66611

Comment

I saw part of one of the follow-ups to the original trilogy on TV this weekend. I felt it had lost what Alec Guinness said about the original - that when you started reading the script you just had to continue. With this one I didn't really want to or watch the next one that was on later in the week.

Comment

I very much agree with you Brian. I also think the original trilogy were the best. Like you, I saw them in a when my sons were kids, then purchased them on VHS. I also have episodes 1 to 3 on DVD but consequently have never bothered with any more since then. I don’t think prequals work very well particularly when the characters are played by different actors or they look older when they were supposed to be younger! There is also to much repetition of much of the action. I find it gets rather boring. Ken Finch.

Comment

Hy there,I recently watched all 9 movies in their right order. I was very shocked in one of the time at the episode.
                  • Number 2 and 3 were okay. Great effects
                  I saw part of one of the follow-ups to the original trilogy on TV this weekend.
                  Thank you,

Comment

If you are re-visiting the Star Wars universe be sure to watch the 2003 Oscar winning short, The Chubbchubbs. It is a very funny cartoon which has some fun with the Star Wars characters. Here is the video which is available on DVD (75th Annual Academy Awards Short Films), and was also released as a 200ft Super 8 short.

Comment

The Chubbchubbs is a brilliant cartoon, I managed to get it on Super 8 from the Derann second hand list many moons ago, both print and sound are still very good. I also have it on 35mm , even better

I think Classic home cinema were the ones who sold it on Super 8.

Comment

Working...
                      X