No announcement yet.

The Projectionist "A Passion for Film"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graham, of all the responsibilities you list, the most critical, and in my experience, the most rewarding is summed up in that single sentence:

I always believe in trying to make sure folk do enjoy the cinema experience and want to come back.

Comment

H e re in the u.k. we have the Cinema Theatre Association which strives to get cinemas of architectural value preserved in whole or part a s listed buildings to avoid demolition. We also have The Projected Picture Trust who preserve and maintain cinema projectors. Most are ex projectionists. Their main base is in Halifax but they have bases at Duxford, Bletchley Park and Ealing. I am a member of both, although I have never been a professional projectionist. Amazing the number of projectionists who married the cashier or usherette. Both their websites are well worth a look and open to world wide membership. I also have two dvds about projectionists. One isThe last Projectionist which is the history of independent cinema. The other is The Adventures of Georgethe Projectionist by Tim Higham. This is. A spot film with elements of Truffaut, Godard and Gerald Thomas. Not everyone’s ‘cup of tea’. Ken Finch.

Comment

Hi Ken

I have never been, or would consider myself a professional projectionist, I only landed up with the job because no one else wanted to do it, and at the time I needed a job $$$$, so basically I was thrown into the deep end you could say . My background is as a motor mechanic, plus another 20 odd years working on aircraft, so that's really what my background was until the last place closed down and myself along with everyone else was made redundant . Funny thing though, the projectionist who gave me the job, could not wait to get away from the place, he was soon to leave and I landed up full time. I do remember asking him some questions about the projectors when I first started, and still remember him heading down the stairs like a rocket for the exit saying without looking back, you will figure it out.

I did

Ken you mention "The Last Projectionist" on DVD would this be the one? I bought it new a few years back now and thought it was very interesting and well made.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	2004 0302 241.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.7 KB ID:	69821

Comment

H e re in the u.k. we have the Cinema Theatre Association which strives to get cinemas of architectural value preserved in whole or part a s listed buildings to avoid demolition. We also have The Projected Picture Trust who preserve and maintain cinema projectors. Most are ex projectionists. Their main base is in Halifax but they have bases at Duxford, Bletchley Park and Ealing. I am a member of both, although I have never been a professional projectionist. Amazing the number of projectionists who married the cashier or usherette. Both their websites are well worth a look and open to world wide membership. I also have two dvds about projectionists. One isThe last Projectionist which is the history of independent cinema. The other is The Adventures of Georgethe Projectionist by Tim Higham. This is. A spot film with elements of Truffaut, Godard and Gerald Thomas. Not everyone’s ‘cup of tea’. Ken Finch.

Comment

Hi. I s em to be making some errors with posting . Perhaps I am b egginning to lose the plot!! What I meant to say was ,yes Graham, that is the dvd I mentioned in the. Above post.Ken Finch😊

Comment

No problem Ken I have to triple check everything I do these days, sometimes I look and say to myself that's not right, do it again even then its not always right.

Last edited by Graham Ritchie; December 03, 2022, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X