Air Traffic Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Traffic Control

Yesterday I had to move our car onto the road as the its being dug up, the road that is. Anyway I asked one of the guys if I could get out and make our escape? he replied where is Scotland do you come from, I told him and said I have been in New Zealand almost 50 years, he replied you still have a strong accent, which surprised me as I don't think I have a strong accent. Well as he spoke I said, you are Irish he said, been out here 7 years from Cork. I had to really listen to understand him ha ha.

His boss on the road was from England but even that, I had to really listen, not sure where about in England he came from.

Anyway I came across this on you-tube, according to American airline pilots flying the Atlantic its about right. One pilot stated that over time flying from the US to the UK he now understands the Scottish air traffic control a lot better than before. Don't forget, many flights from the US do arrive going through Scottish airspace down to London etc.

Enjoy

Really enjoyed that clip Graham, the male certainly has a really thick accent ,
    John

Comment

Once I get off the plane in Scotland, I need subtitles.
      -Robin Williams

Comment

On the subject of accents, when I was a kid, I was sent up to Blackburn to stay with my god parents and attended the local school. The kids there thought I was a Cockney because of my South London accent. I had been sent off there because of the V2 rockets which would arrive without any warning. Then later on having been called up for National service and came across Glaswegians and Geordies for the first time in my life, I could not understand a word they were saying! Ken Finch😊

Comment

The first time, I was in the USA, someone noticed my accent and asked me whether I’m from Scotland. I still don’t know whether this was an insult or a compliment. :-D

Comment

Thanks for that link on Robin Williams, sadly missed these days.

Looking back to when I worked as a motor mechanic for a Datsun agency in Paisley, I always remember one of the apprentices telling me this.....quote on close to it....."me an my bud are going oot tonight"....meaning "me and my girlfriend are going out tonight". Try saying it fast .

There were eight apprentices worked there, and for quite a while I was the only qualified mechanic, they were a good bunch, this would have been around the 1971-73 mark, seems like a million years ago now.

Regarding Glasgow airport though, we visited my parents in 1992, and while there they asked me if I wanted to take there little ST180 projector back to NZ as by this stage we were sending VHS tapes instead. Going through Glasgow airport security the projector was pulled up by one of the security personal. He said straight away, he had been after one of those, and did I want to sell it, another security person arrived and said to me, he is no joking he has been after one for a while. I declined to sell it, but we had a friendly chat about it.

Arriving down at Heathrow from Glasgow I went to get our stuff, but no projector arrived. I started to think mmmm by this time everyone else had picked up there stuff and gone. At the last minute and the last item, the little ST180 appeared down the slide in a basket, that's good of them I thought, they really had looked after it.

I always remember that encounter at Glasgow airport, it shows that, you never know who you can bump into

Comment

Joerg

I don't think it was meant to be an insult, being referred to Scottish would be more of a compliment

Comment

Working...
              X