Wanted on 4k UHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted on 4k UHD

Hello Forum Members, I know this is probably a long shot, but does any forum member have a 4k UHD copy of Oliver starring Ron Moody. I can only find it in a Columbia Classic set at over £100. So fingers crossed, someone has got the set and is happy to part with Oliver.
    You can either message me on here or email me on clivecasey1@gmail.com
    If possible UK only. I would also like to thank Doug for allowing me to post this even though it’s not 8mm.

Clive

Clive,

Are 4K discs region free? If so, there are a number of US eBay sellers that offer them.

Comment

There is one on Ebay (US) right now for $25 (Bid) or $33 (price)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266065023728

Comment

I have seen the ones on eBay but like Doug says are the 4ks region free. I will have to look into it. Thanks to Doug and Ed for the reply.
        Clive

Comment

4K (aka Ultra HD) bluray appears to be region free (unlike some standard bluray):

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...icles/00029369

Comment

Thank you Xander

Comment

Hi Clive, 4k UHD discs are indeed region free, ebay is the best place, it's where I got mine from, think I paid around £20.00 for it.

Comment

Thanks Del, you are all very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Xander van der Merwe View Post
                  4K (aka Ultra HD) bluray appears to be region free (unlike some standard bluray):

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...icles/00029369
                  Yes, all UHD discs are region free. However, if you are buying a combo (has DVD, Bluray, and UHD discs), the DVD and Bluray discs many have region codes.

Comment

Hi all, Thanks for all the input. Today I have ordered a 4k version from The USA. I have got a blu ray version on reguon 2 already, it was just the 4k version I wanted, all I have to do now is wait for it to arrive.
                    Once again thanks to everyone and especially Doug from the forum.
                    Clive

Comment

Clive,

I'm glad we could all help. If you'll be singing along, just remember to make a slight alteration to one of the songs. It should be "Film, Glorious Film".

Comment

I will definitely be singing along with it Doug. I remember showing it on 35mm and leaning against the projector singing along with it. Luckily the box was quite well soundproofed, so no one could here me. 😂😂

Comment

Enjoy Clive. Have fond memories of Oliver as my parents took me to see it in London in the 60s upon release. It was a time when uk cinemas were uping the quality game so sound was paramount as was the projected image.
                          ​​​However, I find the black levels way beyond what was intended back then with the new 4K disc so a bit of a difficult watch for me. I'm guessing it's been prepped for a 21st century audience but I miss the easy on the eye film look.

A good 4k disc but for me does not represent what I viewed on the screen late 60s on that massive screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Mannering View Post
                            ...​​​However, I find the black levels way beyond what was intended back then with the new 4K disc so a bit of a difficult watch for me. I'm guessing it's been prepped for a 21st century audience but I miss the easy on the eye film look.

A good 4k disc but for me does not represent what I viewed on the screen late 60s on that massive screen.
                            Lee, did you try changing the HDR settings on your UHD player? What you describe sounds like the HDR settings need to be adjusted.

Here is a review of Oliver UHD:

The award-winning musical picks the pockets of Ultra HD fitted with a charmingly handsome HEVC H.265 encode, which was struck from a brand new restoration and remaster of the original 35mm camera negatives. Compared to its previous two Blu-ray releases, the native 4K transfer sports a welcomed uptick in overall definition and clarity, showing slightly better detailing in the threading and stitching of the costumes. The fine lines and objects in the stage design are plain to make out, giving fans another level of appreciation for the amount of work that went into every elaborate scene and composition. A few moments of softness and very slight poor resolution are sprinkled here and there but are to be expected and forgiven. The real win ultimately comes from the overall consistency and fidelity of the picture, awash in a fine layer of natural grain, which is stable and furnishes the 2.35:1 image with a lovely, film-like quality.

For the first half of the film, contrast is somewhat subdued and restrained to create a thematically dour and gloomy atmosphere that complements Oliver's situation, which is also in line with the creative intentions of cinematographer Oswald Morris. After the intermission, the second half enjoys a more vivid, dynamic contrast balance as Oliver's prospects improve, lavishing the buildings of Bloomsbury Square in intensely bright and immaculate whites while specular highlights supply a crisp radiance to the edges of clouds, a tight revealing glow in the damp roads and a realistic sheen along metallic surfaces. Meanwhile, black levels are inky rich with velvety midnight shadows from start to finish without sacrificing the finer aspects in the darkest, murkiest corners, adding an attractive cinematic appeal to the musical numbers.

Similar to the contrast, the bleak stylized photography in the first half of Act 1 comes with a rather limited assortment of colors, but when Oliver arrives in London, the selection slightly expands with a bit of vibrancy and pep during the "Consider Yourself" performance. However, the HDR10 presentation suddenly comes alive and leaps into high spirits at the start of Act 2 with the "Who Will Buy?" number, showering the screen with the dramatic, animated reds of the marching band and the strawberries, the lush, lively greens of the grass and trees, and the energetic cerulean blue of the sky. That same musical sequence also boasts a flamboyantly vibrant array of secondary hues for added measure, like the bumblebee yellow dresses of the schoolgirls along with the eye-catching mix of taffy pink and lavender dresses of other dancers. The rest of the movie comes with a warm marigold glow from the candlelights while facial complexions appear natural with revealing, lifelike textures. (HDR10 Video Rating: 84/100)
                            ​Source: https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/96...csvolume2.html
                            Last edited by Ed Gordon; January 06, 2023, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I own this 4K UHD Disc of "Oliver!" and I was slightly disappointed by the transfer. I believe the film elements weren't lined up correctly, thus leaving a slight blur to the final image. But either way, it's certainly the best-looking version of the film available to date (Digitally). I'm sure the 65mm blow ups look incredible.

Comment

Working...
                              X