Ebay Problem..... !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay Problem..... !

Can anyone help me or give advice on this little problem I have with Ebay, please ?

When I sell films, I usually advertise them with, firstly, the title, then possibly the main actor, then the length in feet, then with the words " Super 8 Colour Sound Film. "

By doing this, when I search on " Super 8 Sound " I get a list of all the films from all sellers, including myself, that fall into that category.

Recently, I have noticed that over the last few weeks, my films are not being listed in the "Super 8 Sound" search at all. Is it something I may have overlooked / done wrong, or is it another Ebay mess. I know the system is not perfect as I have seen both the odd 16mm and Standard 8 film be listed under this category too. It concerns me as the number of "views" on my films have fallen dramatically.

Any help / comment would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Melvin,
    I think there are some major problems with ebay at the moment. In the past week I have sold several items all of them paid for and shiped off to the buyer.
    And to my horror I have found that they are still up on the site for sale. I had deleted them manually one by one before someone else buys them again.
    Also on my home page it is telling me that I have 33 pages of items for sale ( I wish ).
    I do hope that they sort things out as it is becoming a nightmare keeping tabs on it all.
    Steve

Comment

Me too Melvin you’re not alone. It’s so frustrating the way they keep changing things on eBay. Some spotty little git gets an idea and they go along with it. Just my opinion of course.🤓

Comment

In my opinion, you are having to many possible alternative listing possibilities for your listing to come up on. For instance, naming the star, makes for another possibility, ECT, and while that sounds great in theory, (the more it's seen, the more potential sales), it might just be Overkill. The only annoying unknown, is that eBay can change its own 'search engine" settings, without telling anyone, and what worked last week, may not work this week. I can't count the number of times that films have just "magically" shown up for sale on eBay, with hours or minutes to go, that have been up there for a week, that I just happened upon, by accident. That problem with already sold items still being up for sale is just bisarre, though. Somebody working for eBay is majorly wonky, or the whole system is buggy and needs an overhaul.

Comment

Steve - Goodness me, I thought that I had issues ! Thanks for the warning. I will scrutinize mine even more from now on. I assume that even though you are in France, you are registered with Ebay.UK ?

Terry - Words of frustration that are probably not far away from the truth !

Thanks to the above for their feedback (more welcome). It is sort of assuring to know that it is not me, but I am really concerned as I really believe that my sales come from the group listings ( "Super 8 Colour Sound" ) than from someone searching for a specific title. It even does not come up on the "Super 8 Film" search ! It is bad enough that nowadays when listing, they want to know the back end of a fart as far as information is concerned, and THEN your items don't list in the appropriate category!

Osi - I think we may be talking about two slightly different things. I am not taking about Ebay's own search engine categories that they invent themselves and expect every item to fall into one of them, I am talking about when one just puts specific words to search, in this example " Super 8 Colour Sound " which is the title I would put into my "Saved Searches " file. As far as overkill with actors names, I can't see why it would be. Someone else may type in, for example, " John Wayne " and would be given all the JW stuff in one list including books, dvd's and any super 8 with his name in the listing title. I do agree with Terry and Steve, I think Ebay UK, at least, is a terrible mess at the moment. Pity we can't turn the clock back 7 or so years ago when I think they had it just right, give or take.
          Last edited by Melvin England; January 30, 2023, 06:23 AM.

Comment

„Super 8“ wouldn‘t work for me as a search term as some sellers are using „S8“, „Super-8“ or „Super8“ (without blank) instead. And depending on the region, some sellers will set the format to „Super 8“ without mentioning Super8 in the title or description. „Colour“ is even worse as it could also be „color“, „Farbe“, „couleur“, „kleur“… . Not to mention that the attempt of turning eBay into a „wish.com lite“ (=sales platform for new Chinese goods) ended up in ruining all my saved searches: Instead of getting 3-5 useful items as in the past, I’m now always getting at least one thousand items, as e.g. the terms „super“ and „8“ are also included in spare parts for some motorbikes, some batteries, some t-shirts, … . Filtering by category doesn’t help as the Chinese goods are always listed in every single category.

Comment

Originally posted by Melvin England View Post
              Can anyone help me or give advice on this little problem I have with Ebay, please ?

When I sell films, I usually advertise them with, firstly, the title, then possibly the main actor, then the length in feet, then with the words " Super 8 Colour Sound Film. "

By doing this, when I search on " Super 8 Sound " I get a list of all the films from all sellers, including myself, that fall into that category.

Recently, I have noticed that over the last few weeks, my films are not being listed in the "Super 8 Sound" search at all. Is it something I may have overlooked / done wrong, or is it another Ebay mess. I know the system is not perfect as I have seen both the odd 16mm and Standard 8 film be listed under this category too. It concerns me as the number of "views" on my films have fallen dramatically.

Any help / comment would be appreciated.

Thank you.
              Melvin, I created a search on Ebay to find new super 8 and/or regular 8mm films that sends me a list of new posting daily. Here is the URL the search generated for me:

Code:
              https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dmd=1&Movie%252FTV%2520Title=Super%25208&_nkw=film+movie+super+8&_sacat=63821&_dcat=63821&Film%2520Format=Super%25208&_sop=12&_stpos=98036&_svsrch=1

Comment

Joerg - I fully appreciate that there can be several variations in the way people list films. However, I have found that using my search words normally catches the vast majority of films. There are always some that slip the net. I do use other search words occasionally for those.

Ed - Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try !

Comment

Working...
                X