Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanic epic chance for a beautiful screening please read titanic fans

APRIL 14, 2020

For those of you who have James Cameron’s TITANIC – regardless of format or media, please join me from our screening rooms globally for a historic event.

A simple question to Google I asked, “What day did the Titanic sink?” and while there were several different opinions, I decided to go with the information as shown in Modern Time Zones. Which meant that when she struck the iceberg and did go down, there were no time zones per say.

Here are the facts which if my math is right, an excellent opportunity awaits our screening rooms.

April 14, 1912. The time is 11:50pm. The ship strikes the iceberg.

The ship is 400 miles south of Newfoundland Canada. The time zone is 1 hour ahead of the ship’s destination, (in New York City 10:50pm).

According to history, it takes two- and one-half hours for her to go down. Leaving behind those who would perish in the cold waters, and those remaining on the lifeboats to be later picked up by the Carpathia.

Taking all of that into consideration, and given the length of James Cameron’s movie, I believe this to be correct but must be noted as approximate.

To verify this, I checked my 10th anniversary standard definition DVD. Finding the scene where it strikes the iceberg is 1:40 minutes into the progress of the movie.

Now if you live the east coast for example:

Start your feature only screening at 9:10pm. Yes, it will be a late night to bed. Remember to adjust for your time zones accordingly.

If the calculations are correct, you will observe the ship strike the iceberg on the same day and at the same time, when it happened, 108 years ago.

9:10PM

10:50PM

SAVE THE DATE.

PAY TRIBUTE TO THOSE WHO PERISHED ON THAT FATEFUL JOURNEY.

And that boys and girls, is why I like this hobby so much. We can see movies any day of the week in a method that not many people can these days. And that’s normal for us.

But only every once in awhile can you have such a screening that REALLY NAILS IT.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1540256149727.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.4 KB ID:	7585
    Last edited by Chip Gelmini; April 12, 2020, 06:47 PM.

Another obsession of mine RMS Titanic. We usually have a gathering at the final resting place of band leader
    Wallace Henry Hartley nearby over here but not this year although some flowers will appear. Finished filming my 9.5mm film epic documentary about Titanic around the UK locations linked yet to edit so will probably run that up along with Titanic 3D.

9.5mm film

Click image for larger version

Name:	Publication12.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	7609

Comment

Popped some flowers over to Wallace born locally and bandmaster on RMS Titanic. Quite a few memorials here to him and the liner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LM-DSC_1020.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	7694

Comment

Lee: thank you for your support and interest

to everyone else I hope I'm not the only one doing this tonight my print is ready to run!

be bold who's joining me tonight globally and doing the same thing?

Comment

I started my show at 9:10 PM and at 10:50 PM the iceberg was struck the show ran great it was unfortunate I was by myself I really hope some of you also did the screening but I had fun

Comment

Hi Chip. We always enjoy projecting films to a theme as you suggested with the anniversary. Typically we show A NIGHT TO REMEMBER when she went down so this year was a nice change.
            We projected TITANIC 1997 in 3D the 2012 version which I personally find quite amazing being a Titanorak.

Our programme went thus.
            Super 8 Trailer Titanic
            Super 8 trailer A Night To Remember
            Super 8 my home movie 50ft of the USA Titanic exhibition visiting Manchester. Twas wonderful to see all the exhibits and actually touch a piece of the hull.
            Super 8 Titanic Newsreel footage

Main programme: TITANIC 3D. I had previously timed the film so we got to where she struck the iceberg the same as reality so it didn't make such a late night.

Quite a full evening I must say and today we watch the British masterpiece A NIGHT TO REMEMBER 1958 starring Kenneth More. Me him at Pinewood Studios when I was also acting in a film 1970's asking for his autograph. He was working on Slipper and the Rose opposite our studio doors.

Take care Chip

Comment

We watched the first part of the 1997 Titanic last night, up until the time she hit the iceberg. Second half tonight.
              As great and spectacular as the 1997 movie is, and it is grand entertainment, the definitive and most factual version of the Titanic saga is the British film A Night To Remember starring Kenneth Moore . Must have been a real thrill to meet him Lee.

Comment

While I was waiting for my print of titanic to arrive Earlier this year I did watch a night to remember first then about a week later raise the Titanic And then I waited for James Cameron's movie to arrive so the tripple feature over a months time or so was great

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	TITANIC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.9 KB ID:	7816

Chip, there is also the 1953 Titanic, starring Barbara Stanwyck and Clifton Webb. We watched it last week, not bad but the ship was really not the star of this one, more of a family drama. The thing I really like about the Cameron version , despite the Kate Winslett/Leo DeCapprio soap opera, is the way we get to appreciate the awesomeness of that ship, and the sound track is amazing. Is your print in stereo? If not you may want to consider a re-record.

Comment

It is stereo and quite good

Comment

Working...
                    X