No announcement yet.

The REX Cinema still putting on a show.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The REX Cinema still putting on a show.

Just before Christmas I was taken to see a screening at the REX Cinema in Paris. I have always known about this cinema but never before have I have entered through the doors, so I didn't know quite what to expect.
    In this world today were the average cinemas attitude is, just slap it on the screen no matter what it looks or sounds like that has become the norm, it's reassuring to know that there is still at least one cinema left that cares about its presentation, and it's an eye opener.

Click image for larger version

Name:	63930dde07a92_grand-rex-2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	76077

The REX was opened in 1932 and is a magnificent art deco picture palace, it stands today unaltered form its opening night, and yet can wow the audience today with the latest technology on the largest screen in Europe, without damaging this wonderful auditorium.

Name:	photo_grand_rex2.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	76078

The cinema seats 2,800 over the stalls and the two balconies. If you look at the top balcony it spells out REX with the seats. The theatre is equipped still with film projection 35/70mm but uses most of the time digital Imax, as this is the only way of filling the very large screen.
    I was told that underneath the stage apron there is still the original orchestra pit that houses the only Wurlitzer pipe organ in France.

Name:	169482354_3871447606270328_1514301770352946784_n.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	76079

The average presentation starts off with the supporting program being shown on the original screen on the stage, that is behind the stage tabs. and then for the feature.
    The largest motorised drop down screen you have ever seen descends from the ceiling, this goes wall to wall in front of the original proscenium arch. Behind it the screen tabs are opened and the stage screen is flown out allowing for the stage speakers to be used for the presentation.

Name:	histoire16.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	76080

It just proves that you don't have to chop up and destroy these magnificent buildings. With some thought they can be adapted to cater for today's audience.
    The venue is also used throughout the year for live music concerts. At least once a year host a film presentation with a live orchestra accompanying the score.

What a truly stunning cinema, and great pics too! How marvellous to have the privelidge of experiencing a movie in this gorgeous palace. Makes our local Regal look like a dump! Thanks for posting Steve.

Comment

Steve,

Simply spectacular!

Comment

Fantastic Steve. The only similar ones that have survived more or less intact in the u k are the ones that are no lnger cinemas but live theatres or taken over by religious groups. Many were ruined when divided into multi screens. Ironically, quite a few of the early cinema buildings have been renovated and are cinemas again, mainly as independents. Ken Finch.😊

Comment

Video on the installation of the huge screen at Le Grand Rex:

Comment

Thank you Ed for posting that video, I had no idea that the screen was installed in the 80s, I thought it was a recent edition.
            Obviously it celebrated its 90th last year, but over the four years prior to that it had undergone a total makeover. Especially on the exterior where they removed all of the old tat that had been added and stuck on it over the years, returning it back to it original colour scheme and look as it did on the day it opened.
            I think it's the old saying That less is more, let the building do the talking, and she sure does. As no photo can do it justice, She's a real class act.
            I have been fortunate to have visited many great movie theatres / cinemas over the years like the Fox Detroit, Graumon's Chinese - Egyption and the Avalon Pasadena, all of them magnificent.
            But walking through the auditorium doors in the REX knocked me back the most, as it was the last thing I was expecting to see, I always believed it had been modernised in the 60s, fortunately it had escaped that fate.

Whenever there is a big kids film on release, as a part of the supporting program they put on a light and fountain show live on stage.

I might attempt this in the garden pond when the weather warms up.😀

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lee View Post
              Thank you Ed for posting that video, I had no idea that the screen was installed in the 80s, I thought it was a recent edition.
              Obviously it celebrated its 90th last year, but over the four years prior to that it had undergone a total makeover. Especially on the exterior where they removed all of the old tat that had been added and stuck on it over the years, returning it back to it original colour scheme and look as it did on the day it opened.
              I think it's the old saying That less is more, let the building do the talking, and she sure does. As no photo can do it justice, She's a real class act.
              I have been fortunate to have visited many great movie theatres / cinemas over the years like the Fox Detroit, Graumon's Chinese - Egyption and the Avalon Pasadena, all of them magnificent.
              But walking through the auditorium doors in the REX knocked me back the most, as it was the last thing I was expecting to see, I always believed it had been modernised in the 60s, fortunately it had escaped that fate...​
              I have been fascinated by classic cinema architecture for years. I must say, the Rex surpasses anything I have seen. I wonder if there is any other cinema in the world that comes close to the Rex?

Comment

Wow the Grand REX Cinema in France is impressive,
                here in Victoria we also have 2 Rex cinemas.

One at Daylesford, sadly it closed down and was sold just recently.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-...mley/101800882

The other Rex Cinema is in Charlton and is still very active,

Are there any other Rex cinemas out there?

https://www.rextheatre.org.au/

Comment

There is also a Rex Cinema in Singapore.

https://www.roots.gov.sg/places/plac...es/Rex-Cinemas

Comment

Working...
                  X