The 1960s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1960s

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1120395.JPG Views:	0 Size:	97.8 KB ID:	7892 While living in our we bubble at the moment I have been going through old records. Who is old enough to remember "Zabadak" by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich?. The 60s were a great time for music and the pirate ships that transmitted at sea remember those?

One thing for sure you never forget the music. I don't think there was ever one place that I ever worked at, that never had a radio blaring away. I am not sure, that these days people have music in the workplace. Certainly back then a radio in the work place was a must

Anyway its great to re-visit that era with old 45 records, here is a photo from yesterday..

And plus just for the fun of it....

Last edited by Graham Ritchie; April 16, 2020, 07:56 PM.

The record "Xanadu" really made Citizen Kane confusing as it had the line "The black barren land that bears the name of Xanado", not to mention the whip sounds on it :-)

Pirate stations also came from WWII forts in the Thames estuary. I had the good fortune to meet and talk to Tom Edwards (Tatty Tom) ex Radio City and TV continuity announcer at a vintage TV event last year. That brought back the memories.

Comment

Brian....Its interesting to look back... "Radio Caroline" was one pirate ship we used to tune into a lot. I think it was around 2010 when at the cinema, where I worked we screened a 35mm print of "The Boat That Rocked" based on the pirate ships of the 1960s.

Click image for larger version  Name:	91OilrXHLxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.6 KB ID:	7941

Comment

Graham Ritchie That was a funny movie. In the U.S. it was titled Pirate Radio.
        Last edited by Janice Glesser; April 18, 2020, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Janice I like this bit......"Gentleman I have some good news and some bad news"

Comment

Now that looks like a good one to watch while I'm almost comatose from boredom!

Comment

One of the most popular records of the 1960s that was played a lot on the radio, was The Animals "House Of The Rising Sun" its great to hear this talented youngster from the UK doing his version.

Comment

Brilliant! Great guitar playing, what a talented youngster.

Comment

Well, would you believe it, I came across this you-tube video by accident this morning of a film taken of "Radio Caroline" back in 1965

Those were the days

Comment

How young did Tony Blackburn look in that?!!! Good to see Nigel Henty-Dodds (Simon Dee) in his pirate days and also, I believe a glimpse of the MV Galaxy that housed Radio London and the memories that Caroline bell brought back....

Comment

Played my Telstar 45 last week

Comment

Seeing Simon Dee reminded me of when I invited him to open my Sale of Work at The Salvation Army, Elephant and Castle, London. He was delighted to accept the invitation. We advertised everywhere. Huge crowds stood waiting for the doors to open. He never arrived! He'd double booked and let me down. I nearly got lynched as folk thought I'd pulled a fast one. We did an absolute bomb that day. His letter of apology offering to 'open something in the future' was duly noted!! Great memories.

Comment

Well I wonder who can remember this one playing on the radio from 1967. I can it, all seems so long ago now. It was the year I left school at 15 to start my first job. The 1960s were a brilliant time for creative music. "Grocer Jack" is certainly a classic from that long ago era.

Comment

Back in 1966/67, Radio 270 pirate radio operated from near Bridlington on the east coast of England. My parents had a static caravan so we were there quite often at weekends during the spring and summer months. I have very clear memories of taking trips on the 'pleasure boats' that went out for sea from Bridlington harbour (boats such as 'Bridlington Queen' and 'Yorkshire Belle').

At one point, the pleasure boats included a trip around the pirate radio ship that was anchored just off Bridlington at the time. I remember seeing some of the crew / DJs waving to us as we passed by. I thought it was great, as I used to tune into their station when we were staying at Bridlington.
                            Last edited by Gary Sayers; May 28, 2020, 07:39 AM.

Comment

At night times I could listen to Radio 270 in London, sometimes even Radio Scotland on 242 metres!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X