Odeon Weston-super-Mare To Close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odeon Weston-super-Mare To Close

I am extremely sad to learn my old local cinema is to close down.
    I lived in Weston-super-Mare from a boy, and in later years worked for Odeon cinemas, in fact, my last before retirement was this four-screen cinema whilst we were still running real film.
    The cinema was built in 1935 on a lovely large corner site and is a listed building, it has one of only two still working Compton organs in the country.
    I suspect that the real reason is that in 2018 Cineworld built a new 8-screen cinema close by and has probably taken trade from the Odeon.
    Art deco Odeon in Weston-super-Mare to close down as 'no longer viable to operate the cinema' - Somerset Live

That's so sad to hear Maurice.
    I think when you know a building like this, and know every square foot of it, like the back of your hand, even the areas that the public never saw.
    As we know they were like rabbit warrens behind the scenes.
    Let's hope that someone can take it on and turn it into an arts venue or something. As it's too good to be lost.

I found a couple of photos of it from back in the day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	large (2).jpg
Views:	397
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	80139

Name:	large (1).jpg
Views:	393
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	80141

Name:	large.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	80142
    Attached Files

Comment

Maurice, I am sorry to hear that, you must be upset. It looks to be a great cinema, great character. Not one of these soulless boxes with digital projection that we have today. I think their days are numbered as well as the films are awful tripe and people can stay in and watch films they like on big screen tv’ or film. I felt the same when the ABC Hanley and Odeon closed. I saw some terrific films in them.

All the best Maurice.

Comment

Thank you Gentlemen,

We had two Cinemeccanica Victoria 8 (70mm & 35mm) and two Cinemeccanica Victoria 4 (35mm). The two former with Christie platters, and the two latter with Philips platters.

One Vic 8 remained in the roof top projection room and showed into the boarded up circle (Screen 1).
        The other three projectors were housed in one long projection room at the rear of the stalls.

Screen 2 was under the balcony overhang with a Vic 4.
        Screen 3 was also under the balcony overhang with a Vic 4.
        Screen 4 was what remained of the stalls with a Vic 8 tilted upwards to reach the original front of stage screen. With the organ in its pit.

The organ could only be used when all the cinemas were not working due the fact that it resonated right through the building. Therefore, it coiid only be used on a Sunday morning. When I was a kid, when the cinema was "whole", the organ played for us to sing from projected slides.

Comment

Sad news to hear Maurice. So many have gone this same way.

Comment

Hi Maurice, Once the Cinema Theatre Association hear of it they may be able to get it listed and thus prevent it being demolished if there are sufficient reasons for it to be preserved. It may be mentioned in their next bi monthly bulleti magazine. It would be worth your while contacting them if you have not already done so .Ken Finch.😊

Comment

Ken
              It is a Grade II Listed Building.

Comment

Maurice, so sad that this beautiful building will no longer be a cinema.

Ken, I did not know of the Cinema Theatre Association;

Cinema Theatre Association (cinema-theatre.org.uk)

Fascinating. Thank you for making me aware of this.

Comment

OOPs, I've just remembered, my CTA membership renewall is due.

Comment

When you look at the list of Committee members you will see a David Simpson listed. He is also one of the organisers of the White Bus Cinema which I attend as one of the projectionists each Wednesday evening. I have also visited the CTA and looked through their extensive archives which is truly fascinating.
                    They've got files on every cinema that has ever been in the UK.

Comment

I am glad to hear it is already a grade 2 listed building. Maybe it could be restored to its original condition if the interior has not been too badly damaged particularly as it still has an organ in situ. It would make a splendid entertainment venue for the West Country. Rather like the Plaza Stockport and other ex cinemas. I have been member of the C.T. A. for a number of years now and in the past attended a number of their cinema tours in different parts of the country. Well worth being a member if you are interested in the history of the cinema. I am still a regular cinemagoer but not to a multiplex. Watching a film on tv is not for me. Ken Finch.😊

Comment

It wouldn't require much work to restore the building back to what was originally.

1) The boarded up front of the balcony. (Screen 1)
                        2) The boarded up towards rear of the stalls. (Screen 4)
                        3) Two boarded up panels forming Screen 2
                        4) One panel forming Screen 3.

These are not load bearing so could easily be removed to bring back its original 1807 seats, 1174 in the stalls and 633 in the balcony as at May 1935.
                        It would make a great entertainment venue and the organ would be a great hit with summer visitors. A slide lantern could project slides for a sing-along!

Comment

Hi Maurice.
                          I have found a couple more photos and have placed them side by side ,then and now. It looks like there has been very little damage done the the building over the years.
                          I like the way that the decor is not too over the top, it is subtle but with attention to detail.
                          She's a real beauty, let's hope someone can save her.

Name:	odeon wsm.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	80291

Name:	odeon wsm 2.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	80292

Name:	odeon wsm 3.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	80293

Name:	large (7).jpg
Views:	303
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	80294

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lee View Post
                            Hi Maurice.
                            I have found a couple more photos and have placed them side by side ,then and now. It looks like there has been very little damage done the the building over the years.
                            I like the way that the decor is not too over the top, it is subtle but with attention to detail.
                            She's a real beauty, let's hope someone can save her.
                            The photos taken prior to the remodel makes one wonder why they ever "remodeled" the interior. If there is no interest in converting this "Mutilated-Plex" back into a theater, it would still be worthwhile to save the building. In Seattle we lost the Coliseum theater as a movie venue, but the building was saved, and can be restored.

The Coliseum Theater opened in 1916 as Seattle’s first theater built specifically for motion pictures. Priteca would later go on to design the Paramount Theatre in Seattle over a decade later.

Built for the Pantages chain, the Coliseum Theater was monumentally Neo-Classical in style, with its gleaming white terra cotta façade, and its distinctive half-dome like marquee, which was crowned by a small domed temple, all brilliantly illuminated by lights, looking like an ancient imperial monument on Pike Street.

The interior was equally stunning, with ornate plasterwork, including busts of goddess, gargoyles and a huge lion’s head over the proscenium arch. The lobby featured imported Italian marble, lighting fixtures designed by Priteca himself, and a huge chandelier. In keeping with the Roman theme, mosaics decorated the lounges and foyer floors.

The Coliseum Theater operated as a first run house until closing in 1990, when it was forced to shut down due to decreasing business. It sat vacant and falling apart through the first half of the 1990’s, until 1995, when the dilapidated Coliseum Theater was acquired by the Banana Republic clothing store chain, and completely gutted inside, though some of its still-beautiful plasterwork was retained and cleaned and can be seen throughout the store.

The exterior was somewhat altered, its original half-dome shaped marquee having long been removed, and its replacement also being removed, in favor of a modern glass and steel awning over the main entrance. The terra cotta has been cleaned and is now dramatically illuminated at night, picking up its details, such as the medallions and floral patterns.

The Coliseum Theater is today a great example of historic preservation and adaptive reuse. The Banana Republic store closed at the beginning of the Covid=19 pandemic and the closure is permanent. The building stands vacant in August 2022. In March 2023 it was announced the former theatre would be converted into an arts space.
                            The entire balcony survived the Banana Republic remodel and is currently blocked off from the public.

Name:	Col-upper-balcony.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	80299

Comment

Numbering Steve's pictures downwards 1 to 7.

1) Entrance to circle
                              2) New entrance to Screen 1
                              3) Original lower entrance to stalls
                              4) New entrance to screens 2,3 4, and their projection box
                              5) Original screen tabs closed and house tabs open
                              6) Screen 4 in 'scope mode
                              7) Original stalls before any conversion

Thank you, Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X