• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattlle Cinerama saved ...again

SIFF buys Cinerama, plans reopening of shuttered Seattle movie theater

May 11, 2023 at 7:15 pm

By Moira Macdonald
    Seattle Times arts critic

It took a while, but yes: Cinerama is, finally, coming back.

The Seattle International Film Festival has acquired the historic Seattle movie theater at Fourth Avenue and Lenora Street from the estate of Microsoft co-founder, investor and philanthropist Paul Allen. SIFF plans to reopen the theater, which has been closed since February 2020, later this year. The acquisition was announced at SIFF’s opening-night gala Thursday at the Paramount Theatre, and drew a huge ovation from the crowd.

“We will work so hard to uphold [Allen’s] legacy,” SIFF Executive Director Tom Mara said, amid the cheers. “We can’t wait to see you in this cathedral of cinema.”

SIFF Artistic Director Beth Barrett said in an earlier interview that a fall date seemed most likely for the theater’s reopening. Programming, she said, will be very similar to what Cinerama has offered in the past: “A lot of bigger-budget, first-run studio films, a lot of specialty events and festivals, and hopefully a lot of special events focusing on filmmakers.” She confirmed plans to resume Cinerama’s traditional 70mm film festivals, and noted that the theater will be part of SIFF’s annual festival, as it has been on multiple occasions in the past. It will return, appropriately, in time to celebrate the fest’s 50th anniversary next year.

Terms of the sale, which was finalized Thursday, were not disclosed. A representative of Vulcan, the company founded by Allen and his sister, Jody Allen, said that funds from the sale would be donated to philanthropic organizations. This was, she said, in accordance with the wishes of Allen, who died in 2018. The representative did not provide details of that philanthropic plan.

“We are so pleased about SIFF’s acquisition of the theater,” Jody Allen, executor of the Allen estate, said in a statement. “They are the ideal mission-driven organization to now shepherd this very special place, bring more film and movie lovers to downtown Seattle, and steward the venue and its role in our community for years to come.”

Seattle City Councilmember Andrew Lewis, whose district includes Cinerama’s block, said in a statement: “There is no Seattle recovery without Downtown recovery, and SIFF’s acquisition of this iconic theater represents a huge step forward in bringing back Downtown.”

It’s a happy ending for the long saga of the Seattle Cinerama Theater, which opened in 1963. Originally intended to showcase three-strip Cinerama technology, an immersive widescreen format that involved three simultaneous projectors, the theater quickly pivoted to showing 70mm and 35mm films. Like many downtown movie theaters, the Belltown theater fell into disrepair in the 1980s and ‘90s as audiences headed for suburban multiplexes. Paul Allen, a movie buff, bought the theater in 1998 and reopened it the following year after major renovations.

Over the next two decades, Cinerama became a beloved destination for moviegoers who loved its enormous curved screen and expansive sightlines, its quirky retro décor and its chocolate popcorn. Offering a mix of first-run blockbusters, classic films and you-can’t-see-these-anywhere-else series (its 70mm festivals were especially popular), it was downtown’s only single-screen theater for many years, and a clubhouse for film buffs.

And then, abruptly, it all ended: Citing plans for renovations (there had been two previously, in 2010 and 2014), Cinerama closed its doors in February 2020, its staff dismissed. The pandemic quickly followed, and Vulcan announced in May of that year that it was shuttering all of its Arts + Entertainment division, which included the theater. Since then, Cinerama has been dark, and waiting.

SIFF has long expressed publicly an interest in acquiring Cinerama. A statement from the organization in 2021 said that SIFF would be “well-positioned to maximize the facility’s potential,” but noted that it would need additional funding or investment. Mara, SIFF’s executive director, said in an interview that serious talks to buy the theater began last year, after he took his job with the organization.

“We’re able to acquire the cinema because of our board’s commitment to SIFF,” he said, saying specifically that board member David Cornfield, “who is a cinema buff and also a champion of our film culture, really stepped up to finance this acquisition.”

Mara said that SIFF would be launching a capital campaign later this year to invite community investment in SIFF’s programs and “position SIFF strongly for the future.” He declined to offer more specifics on the campaign, saying that those conversations are ongoing.

Though Barrett and Mara both said they didn’t anticipate major changes or renovations to the theater, whose interior and equipment are in good shape despite the long closure, one major thing about Cinerama will be changing: its name. Cinerama is a trademarked name, licensed by Vulcan during Allen’s ownership of the theater but reverting to the trademark owner when the property is sold. “Unfortunately, it does not look like we are going to be able to renew that license,” said Barrett, adding that the name change “is going to be a terrific discussion point this summer.”

Whatever it’s called, the reopening of the theater — bringing SIFF’s year-round screen total to six, with the SIFF Uptown, SIFF Egyptian and SIFF Film Center — is welcome news for local filmgoers, coming at a time when audiences appear to be returning to theaters. Mara pointed to SIFF data showing that attendance at its theaters is up 56% in the year’s first quarter compared to the same months last year.

And Barrett, who confirmed that Cinerama will indeed bring back its chocolate popcorn, saw the news as an occasion for renewed hope and optimism. ”It’s such a wonderful gift to the Seattle film community,” she said, “to be able to take this opportunity and reopen Cinerama.”​
    Source: https://www.seattletimes.com/enterta...movie-theater/

Hopefully the showing of three strip Cinerama will return along with 70mm. As I recall, it was shown every two years or so. Since it requires the deep curve Cinerama screen be re-installed, I suspect this will not return. I hope I am wrong about that!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	05102023_Cinerama_0843592.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	80412

I saw HOW THE WEST WAS WON in Cinerama some years ago and was disappointed in the way it was presented. Maybe I'm being too picky. As you Cinerama is made up of 3 different strips of film. So when it is projected you can see movement between each panel and for me that was distracting.

Comment

It's interesting that, while Cinerama was a unique experience, it was not a new technology. Film presentation with multiple screens for multiple projectors, has been a thing since the silent era, though rarely used.

Comment

I, personaly have never seen the three strip Cinerama Process that required a Lovered projection screen. I am 68 years old and remember seeing This is Cinerama in 70mm in the Hartford, CT. Cinerama Theater with my dad when I was about 10, so that would have been in 1965 time spot. I rember being in the balcony first row and it was like being in that rollercoster! Now I was just a child.... I wonder how the real Cinerama 3 strip process was? Is there anyone who has seen the true three strip and is there anywhere in the World now that has the capacity to show this system?

Comment

The Pictureville cinema at the Bradford Museum does, https://www.scienceandmediamuseum.or...reville-cinema I saw "This is Cenerama there some years ago.

Comment

The Bradford Cinerama is the only Cinerama theater at this time. The Hollywood Cinerama is scheduled to reopen in 2024. The Seattle Cinerama was licensed for Cinerama by Paul Allen, but that license is in limbo.

Though Barrett and Mara both said they didn’t anticipate major changes or renovations to the theater, whose interior and equipment are in good shape despite the long closure, one major thing about Cinerama will be changing: its name. Cinerama is a trademarked name, licensed by Vulcan during Allen’s ownership of the theater but reverting to the trademark owner when the property is sold. “Unfortunately, it does not look like we are going to be able to renew that license,” said Barrett, adding that the name change “is going to be a terrific discussion point this summer.”
            Source: Seattle Times

Comment

Brian. Thanks for the info... I have been looking all over the "site"at the Bradford Cinerama Museum and it say 3 strip but This is Cinerama is only playing in june in 35mm/digital? Are you sure they still have the prints and set up I would love to see it!

Thanks... ps... is it the lovered screen?

Comment

The Bradford museum cinema is fully equipped to show 3 strip Cinerama and indeed practically any other film format that has ever existed. I do not know if the screen is louvred. Their programme schedule will indicate when they will next be doing a 3 strip Cinerama showing. The website may have more information. Ken Finch.

Comment

Ken, they do have a louvered screen, but the website is unclear as to how they will be projecting This is Cinerama on June 18th. It could be 3 strip 35mm or the digitally restored version. Here is an example of Cinerama with the digitally restored Brothers Grimm on a smaller louvered screen:

Comment

I believe the louvered screen is essential fro Cinerama as the large curve would have light spill from one side (if a bright part of the pictire) and spoil the contrast on the other side.

Comment

Has anyone ever herd of the "Heraclorama" screen and Lens that was Projected on a 180 degree large lovered screen. The lens was designed just like the curved screen 180 deg. The lens took the Flat film and "bent" it so all "points" equally matched all points on the louvered screen, sending light rays back not just in the center of the screen....but every louver equally! It was said to have a stereoscopic effect without Glasses!

Comment

Working...
                      X