Words to the Wise ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words to the Wise ...

Did anyone else hear about the hero kid who saved a whole bus load of children, as well as the bus driver, this last week? The young man noticed that the driver was having a medical emergency and sprang into action. He saved that whole bus from a wreck and lots of injuries and possibly, deaths. The reason why he did what he did? He wasn't on a cellphone. They interviewed the rest of the children, as to whether they noticed that there something wrong with the driver. When asked why they didn't notice, they all, (except for the young man, who doesn't own a cellphone), said that they were either on they're cellphones or other devices. If it wasn't for that one boy being unplugged ...

So true. I often think of the cellphone as one of the best and also worst inventions of all time. I must admit I couldn't live without mine now, but I've often thought this world would be a much better place if it only stayed as a basic phone and not evolve into a smartphone it is today.

Comment

Here is a video on the story from CBS:

Comment

I know, cellphones are here to stay, but I think humanity would have been much better off without them. This next statement also includes the internet in general, but a large part of the high numbers in depression among young people, is partially due to them being information overloaded and being inundated with countless loads of not being good enough thoughts ECT. However, having said that, without the internet, we wouldn't have this fine forum. Perhaps the earlier generations, of which I am a member as well, were just made "tougher" than what we have today?

Comment

Well it would be better if cell phones had stayed just being telephones, to me at least. Too much distraction from life going on about you when they do much, much more.

Comment

Yes they should not be called mobile phones but mini computers. It is very worrying what the damn things are doing to our grandchildren’s brains and I may add to many adults. How often to you see people walking along the streets, even crossing the road with a child in a pram or pushchair looking at their phones instead of where they are going. Another aspect is the colossal amount of power required by the servers. The same applies regarding the television transmitters. So many channels etc. running 24/7. Somebody once told me how many megawatts are used every time we send an e mail. I wonder how much this forum uses? ! Ken Finch 😉

Comment

Osi, the video of the boy on the school bus was on the u.k. T V news. Ken Finch.

Comment

We watched it on the CBS Morning show, Sunday morning. I love how the young man is so untouched by all the attention, like, "Well, yeah, of course I'd spring into action ... Wouldn't you?". Typical of a real hero, just doing what is right, without question. He actually seems almost annoyed by the attention.

Comment

I wonder if he stills wants a smart phone?

Comment

His parents hadn't given him one yet, but if they choose to give him one, I am betting that he will act more responsibly with one than most.

Comment

Sadly its not just a mobile phone, but Smart Phones may be smart but not the users,
                      time could be wasted in Addictive activities like spending time on Social Media, playing computer Games,
                      Watching Videos on youtube, Ticktoc or Streaming Movies & TV Shows (Netflix, Stan, Amazon etc.)
                      who would have imagine that 30 years ago.
                      Regrettably some people are like Zombies, looking at a Virtual Imaginary World, but not aware of the Real World around them, thanks to that Young man actions in the Real World, they all got saved from Serious Harm.
                      Technology can be a blessing & a Curse, what going to happen in the next 30 years ?

Comment

Never mind the next 30 years Rodney. We have on the bbc news today that there is a dramatic increase in the number of people unemployed because of sickness with back and neck pain and mental health problems. Much of it has been attributed to working from home on computers for too long without a break and lack of social contact with other real human beings. Too many of the games that children are playing are aggressive and many are getting the impression that this is normal behaviour. We never had the number of vicious attacks on each other as we have today. Also a lot of parents seem unable to bother to control what their kids are watching. Ken Finch.😔

Comment

Reminds me of another story. You should never give up on people. There was this bloke who drove to Beachy Head and was threatening to drive off the cliff! But people clubbed together and raised enough money for him to change his mind. So who was it that raised the money? - all the passengers on his bus😜

Comment

Yes Terry, you are quite right. There are many unsung heroes about, including the thousands who give so much of their time running and helping the many charities as volunteers. We are also a very generous nation as is proven by the sums of money raised on the tv fund raising programmes like Children in need etc. It is not just the super rich who do the giving. Ken Finch.😊

Comment

Working...
                            X